Our house have aluminum wiring and is still uses a fuse box. I just want to know
1) What needs to be done to convert it to a circuit breaker
2) Around how much does it cost
Thank you very much in advance
Got to call Hydro to disconnect the power then swap the fuse box to a circuit breaker panel. Have it inspected by ESA once it's passed hydro comes back and reconnects. Should cost 2000 or more. Email me if you have any questions [email protected]
The electrician will have to get the power disconnected then a new panel installed, if current location/height does not meet code he may need to adjust that as well. You still have the issue of a wire not allowed by code any longer. It can be legally left but if you ever do any renos, that portion has to be upgraded. The $2000 price suggested is min you will pay. The range for panel upgrades runs from $2,000-$5,000 depending on what is required and the business you hire. Complete re-wiring of a a house to current codes can run from $15,000-$30,000
Thanks a lot @billy and @john
@john you mentioned this --> You still have the issue of a wire not allowed by code any longer.
Can you please explain more on this? I just want to know more information. Thanks a lot.
As suggested above, the steps are correct, but there are a number of variables, such as:
1. Does the grounding and bonding conductors need to be replaced;
2. Does the existing circuit wiring need to be extended to meet the new location of the panel;
3. Does the exterior meter socket need to be upgraded from the round type to a square one;
4. Are the conductors long enough from the meter socket to the new location of the panel;
Plus other questions.
The costs suggested are accurate for a very basic installation if everything is pretty much still good. Costs go up pretty fast if you need to start replacing meter sockets, conduits, wires and such. At that point, it would be worthwhile to look at a 200 amp upgrade.
John Kuehnl-Cadwell, CD, ME
Datawise Solutions Inc
Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.Find your home service pro