Demolishing a bungalow to rebuild a semi-detach

Question Icon
Posted by: from Scarborough
5/18/2017 at 10:02:46 PM


I currently own a small bungalow house in Scarborough, Ontario. The property lot is pretty decent and not fully being used. I want to look into the option of demolishing the house and rebuilding a new one. Where can I go to get more information on the rules/laws/regulations on what is allowed or not.

- How much room do I have to leave between my house and my neighbours?

- Can I build a semi-detach?

- How many floors can I build?

- How far back into the backyard can I build?

I want to do as much research as I can before going to the City and start applying for anything... basically do all the free research first before paying to get surveys and permits and drawings...

Thank you!

User Icon
Date/Time5/19/2017 at 9:13:42 AM

Go to the city planning department. They will answer every question that you asked in this post.

You MUST look into hiring a builder or a project manager, it will not go well if you have to ask this kind of questions on forums.

User Icon
Date/Time5/19/2017 at 10:00:54 AM

Hire a engineer to do your design. The will take care of all the zoning questions for you. They will even get the permit for you to.

User Icon
Date/Time5/19/2017 at 11:07:50 AM

The best way to do your research is go on City of Scarborough website. Get as much information as possible of yours dos and don't. if you want to do this yourself and there is company out there will handled this for you, but as a home owner you should get involve and know your rules/law/regulations in your area.

User Icon
Date/Time5/21/2017 at 12:29:53 PM

Try to get as much information as you can from your city website and after that you can go and visit the city building department for more information and extra details.

User Icon
Date/Time7/6/2017 at 1:09:28 PM

You have to go to the city in the building department and get their rules and regulation. Once you know then you can hire a contractor to plan with an engineer to draw a blue-print of your house. you must submit this drawing to the city to get a permit. follow step by step with the city on inspection. You have to get in writing from the contractor of an agreement or contract of what their company will do for you. Asked questions if you are not sure and documented. please look out for scammers that agreed to every works you says or wants

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors