Do I need licensed plumber?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Markdale
10/20/2016 at 5:55:17 AM

I am renovating a house into 4 bachelor apartments. I have hred a contractor to do most of the work. He wants to do the plumbing. Do I have to hire a plumber with a license to do the work?

User Icon
Date/Time10/20/2016 at 9:11:58 AM

Depends where you live. If you are the home owner, you don't need a licensed plumber .. as long as you are the only person doing the work.

User Icon
Date/Time10/20/2016 at 9:14:40 AM

The other person working can not work on plumbing that exceeds 3-5' in Ontario.

User Icon
Date/Time10/20/2016 at 10:05:14 AM

The short answer is, yes.

User Icon
Date/Time10/20/2016 at 10:46:03 AM

Hi Joe,

Unless, your contractor is very experienced at plumbing, I would get a licensed plumber to do the plumbing. There will be water supply, drain as well as venting issues that will need to be addressed. These need to be done by code before the walls are closed up. A plumber may cost more money now, but think of the problems later for you and your tenants if the plumbing isn't done right! We have all seen our share of bad plumbing. Such as waste water not draining properly, bad swear smell, etc. You can do a Google search or check with the building department so see if a licensed plumber is needed. I suspect with the scope of work, you probably need a permit.



User Icon
Vresh from AccuTemp GTA Inc in Brampton
Date/Time10/20/2016 at 11:39:36 AM

Absolutely licensed plumber recommended. (small or big job)

User Icon
Date/Time10/20/2016 at 4:31:31 PM


Yes you should always hire a Red Seal Licensed Plumber( newest licensing for plumbers in Canada) under the Ontario college of trades. Meaning, they will know all the updated codes and regulations. Also, if your hiring a plumbing company to do the work and if your municipality requires plumbers to work in your area then they will need to have there plumbing contractors license as well as there master plumbing license if required by the municipality. Otherwise, a licensed plumber is more than qualified to do the rough in and finishing work. There is a huge liability when it comes to plumbing, electrical, structural, and Hvac. You should always hire Licensed professionals.



User Icon
Matthew from Matt of All Trades in Kitchener
Date/Time10/21/2016 at 7:43:48 AM

100%...4 bathrooms?....wouldn't think twice.

User Icon
Date/Time10/28/2016 at 5:54:44 PM

Yes he does need a licensed plumber.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors