Categories

Reasonable price for removal of 500sq ft deck, addition of new 250 sq ft deck

Question Icon
Posted by: from Greenville
2/15/2019 at 12:11:18 AM

This deck is a second story deck that includes 3 equal size sections, one being stepped up. 500sq ft total. I do not have to haul off the useless wood(all of it), because my clients son is going to do so. My client is a friend of the family, and I want to make sure she feels comfortable with the price, but I've also got to price it to be profitable.

After demo, we're building a new, 250 sq ft deck with treated lumber that my client will be purchasing prior to start. Any idea of what I should charge for labor to build it?

I'm new to the decking business. Have been in remodeling, window replacement, tile bathrooms, but on a much bigger scale than the job discussed above. Thanks for your help.

REPLIES (3)
User Icon
Date/Time2/15/2019 at 10:09:12 AM

Hello Ben,

Just be transparent, determine your cost for labour, travel overhead and determine a fair time line of what it will take you to complete the job.

To be honest a happy customer with a referral is better than a larger profit. But

Hope this helps. Best of luck

User Icon
Date/Time2/15/2019 at 12:57:44 PM

The formula I have used over the years for building decks 55% labor 45% materials.

User Icon
Date/Time2/15/2019 at 8:40:55 PM

Ben, Be careful about having others do part of the work. I assume you are licensed and carry WCB? If not, look into it for you own safety. If you are going to charge, a brand new deck can run an average of $10 per sq.ft. I said average. Higher decks and multi level ones cost more. Also, if you have to replace structural items (joists, headers, ledger, etc.) that is extra. I would suggest you consider the job by the hour, that way you have some flexibility and can get others involved.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x