We Need HELP! Is this happening because of mold???

Question Icon
Posted by: from Surrey
1/22/2018 at 12:11:23 PM

We have a family of 5, myself, my fiance, and our 3 kids (1,2 &6). Since Early November, we have all been sick as dogs. we have had cold after cold with no rest between. we have had itchy or red eyes, with no pus in sight. my daughter had hives for almost 2 weeks that just went away one day. We found mold in our downstairs laundry room and urged our landlord to hire a remediation expert but he would only get a handyman to come remove the wall. We left our house for just over a week while he was "fixing" the issues, and all of our symptoms went away. and all 5 of us were better. We moved back into our house a little over a week ago, and we have been patching walls and painting, and trying to get our lives back together. Now over night, my 3 kids and i are all stuffy with runny noses, and sore throats, and my oldest daughter has bright red eyes, that wont go away and the doctor said is an allergic reaction to something. (not pinkeye). I am just defeated. we have been sick straight through for almost 3 months now, and although the molded walls were removed from our house i feel that something in my house is still causing us to be sick.

Please help me figure this out.

User Icon
Date/Time1/22/2018 at 12:30:03 PM

Mold can definitely cause unhealthy conditions, however your healthcare practitioner is probably the best person to get specific symptom information from. Your landlord should have hired a company specializing in mold abatement and not just a handyman. There are huge risks with removing hazardous materials improperly. Did you take pictures of the mold in question, (size of area, colour, etc.)?

My advise, without knowing all the details would be to take any pictures to your doctor on your next visit and ask for his/her opinion. As well, if you have pictures you can report this to landlord tenant board. However, keep in mind, this step usually means you may have to move.

I hope this helps and that you find the cause of these illnesses. Best of luck.

User Icon
Date/Time1/22/2018 at 4:25:32 PM

Ok ,Write an official letter outlining the symptoms and pictures etc to your landlord and ask for the remediation and testing to be done. Stipulate that if the issue is not sorted within 30 days that you will stop payment of rent until such is resolved. It wpuld take a lot of mould to create severe sickness so best check all

User Icon
Date/Time1/22/2018 at 4:34:26 PM

Hi. I am a certified mild inspector. The situation you describe is common. Walls are removed unqualified people and in doing that mold is sometimes spread as they do not have the expertise to contain it also sometimes mold can have spread into your duct work and even though the walls have been removed that mold in the duct work still maybe present and giving you your symptoms you need to have a certified mold inspector such as myself conduct an inspection And obtain a report which you can use to go to your landlord thank you

User Icon
Date/Time1/22/2018 at 7:06:49 PM

Although it would be very difficult to make an exact diagnosis it could also be old asbestos if the place is old and has not been renovated in many years.

Based on what you described it seems that very localized mold removal was done.

With mold typically you want to expose a much larger area as the spores could have easily migrated to other areas and grow somewhere else.

A laboratory testing should be conducted for a more accurate diagnosis

landlord might reluctant to do it because it is expensive plus it may open up a can of worms if there are other units .


User Icon
Date/Time1/24/2018 at 5:31:39 PM

Mold goes airborne once disturbed there is a certain process that is followed of how to remove this problem if not followed correctly and mean correctly the mold could end up anywhere in the house. One of the main things when removing mold is isolation of the area when being removed and the furnace off ! if this process is not done the mold goes into the air and duct work which gets sucked in through the cold air returns or the furnace and then goes everywhere. Get your furnace and ducked work cleaned ,carpets cleaned or replaced. Wipe down all surfaces in the home all (surfaces) floors , walls etc.. with water and vinegar. If the problem continues MOVE there's more in other areas of the home behind drywall or around tubs or sinks once airborne it will start to grow where ever there's moister keep things dry, wipe down is key with the vinegar hope this helps Cheers.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors