Categories

Cost to renovate 150 sq.ft. ensuite bathroom

Question Icon
Posted by: from Vaughan
6/25/2016 at 7:02:38 PM

We will be selling our 30 year old house next spring and need to update the master bath. As such we don't want to spend a whole lot on this renovation. The layout will stay the same, with no major changes to electrical or plumbing.

We were thinking a budget of approximately $20,000. Well we just got our first quote and it was demoralizing. We were given a labour only quote of $18,000! Can someone tell me if this is a reasonable quote? Now I understand why so many people DIY!

REPLIES (9)
User Icon
Date/Time6/25/2016 at 10:17:42 PM

This is way too much, you're looking at 12000-15000 all in.

User Icon
Thomas from Trusted Trades in Mount Forest
Date/Time6/25/2016 at 11:16:06 PM

Totally depends on the quality and style your going for and the combined details of the full project. Far to many variables so a simple square footage price. I would recomend a company consultation to help you figure out what it is you want.

But ya 18k for just labour is a bit overboard for a max 3-4 week project.

User Icon
Laith (Leo) from The A Team Renovation in Brampton
Date/Time6/25/2016 at 11:18:54 PM

Hi,

I did many bathroom renovation and the labour it was between 7000 $- 10000 $ depends what the Client request and what the condition the bathroom recently.......etc.

Thank you

Leo

User Icon
Date/Time6/26/2016 at 5:57:44 AM

Is your home post war, with horse hair plaster and wooden slates? Does the floor have multiple layers of subfloor, leveler, tile, etc? Is the room encased in Knob & Tube?

If you answered "No" to all the above....I see no reason labor would $18,000

User Icon
Date/Time6/26/2016 at 8:13:03 AM

Hello,

My name is Joseph and I'm the owner of DesignBuild. Yes no doubt $18K is very high for labour. However, $12K to $15K also seems very low. A 150 square foot bathroom is a generous size. Assuming you would like a four picece (tub, shower, vanity and toilet), and depending on the quality of the finishes a far more reasonable estimate is between $20K and $25 K. This would give you a beautiful room that would add value and marketability to your home. Frankly cheap is, well, cheap and a discerning buyer would pick that up immediately.

All the best,

Joseph Cauchi

User Icon
Date/Time6/26/2016 at 11:02:18 AM

Yes to gut a smaller bathroom right to the 2 x 4's should run you between 10 and 15K, but that being said that is about average, you could spend much less and unfortunately it would look cheap and people will know that and you could spend a lot and people will be instantly sold, but you WILL NOT get your money back because a bathroom, like a Kitchen are essential rooms in a house and are very personal. It must be generic but very tasteful.

Estimates between 11 and 14K should give you a nice selling bathroom check Better Business Bureau, local Chamber of Commerce. Get many estimates, do your research.

User Icon
Date/Time6/26/2016 at 1:44:29 PM

Hi Francesca,

$18k just for labour on a Re & Re (remove & replace) is extremely high. I could see $18k for the whole bathroom with allowances for fixtures to help control cost.

Please feel free to contact us for a free quote.

Kind Regards,

Scott

User Icon
Francesca in Vaughan
Date/Time6/26/2016 at 2:49:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for your expertise. I'm relieved that the general consensus is that $18,000 is not what I should be expecting for labour costs. I've already scheduled another estimate. Let's hope this one is more reasonable.

User Icon
Date/Time6/26/2016 at 6:07:34 PM

It's quite fair to spend the $18000 materials and labor with reasonable quality materials.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x