Do you need a permit to rough in a new build?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Kincardine
1/22/2022 at 9:11:16 AM

Do you need a permit to rough in a new build? Amish wiring house for future sale - just in case - but will no have a panel installed but all lines terminated where a future panel would be installed

User Icon
Richard in Edmonton
Date/Time1/22/2022 at 4:19:47 PM

Permits are supposed to be in place before work commences (this doesn't always happen). Electrical installations typically require inspection prior to concealment + a final. Permits typically expire with a 90 day lapse in activity. Homeowners can pull electrical permits for work done on their own homes only; otherwise they require a master electrician; no exception for religious grounds. These are the Alberta regulations, not likely any different there.

User Icon
Date/Time1/23/2022 at 2:06:09 PM

Terry, yes!! is the best answer I can give. I know some people don't get permits, but a permit protects you from any legal issues and it make sure the work is done properly and to safety code. Don't skimp on safety.

User Icon
Date/Time1/23/2022 at 6:09:14 PM

Hello Terry

The answer is yes. The act requires all electrical installations to be inspected; there is no variance to determine if it will ever be energized, so the fact that it is a bit of a moot point.

Having said that, you will need to talk to the inspector because the permit is in two steps; step one rough-in and step two the final. If you are not going to power up the circuits then you cannot get to step two, which leaves the permit open.

I think my approach would be is to install a panel and meter socket, then see if the inspector will allow you to power up the house via a portable generator. Once it passes the test, then you pull the portable generator off, seal up the meter socket and be done with it. The next purchaser would have to have an electrical contractor do a special inspection to get it powered up again, but that is minimal to the issue of going through the installation of the panel, meter socket and powering up wiring that somebody else install who knows how many years from now.

In Ontario, permits are good for one year then get renewed annually for a fee. As for the potential buyer, there will be a check that the ESA was involved in any wiring and it may lead to an issue when it is time to sell down the road.

As a side note, only a Licensed Electrical Contractor (LEC) can do the work, so please don't compound the issue with trying to get this done by an unlicensed person.


John L. Kuehnl-Cadwell, CD, ME

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors