Fire Separation

Question Icon
Posted by: from Barrie
1/17/2013 at 5:19:16 PM

I need a reminder, finishing a basement in a town home with units on each side. Their is block foundation, fiber glass insulation and vapor barrier. My client has framed up a wall away from this existing wall as mentioned.

Must I put up 5/8 fire code board on that wall separating the 2 units?


User Icon
Date/Time1/17/2013 at 7:11:23 PM

Good evening sir/mamme:

To answer your question >>>>most definately 5/8" fire rated gypsym board is required as per fire code and I would also suggest if the basement is being finished with the intent to lease that you have fire dampers installed (as per code) although you would have to talk to the township which you are dealing with to find out the requirements as they vary from township to township or city to city.

If the project is being done without permits you do not have to reveil who you are just ask as a anonomous caller although permits should be obtained (recommended) to protect yourself and your clients


Frank Waines

Waines World General Contracting

User Icon
Date/Time1/17/2013 at 8:09:45 PM

With a block wall you dont need 5/8" drywall, but if you have access to the ring joist, that should be drywalled and taped, if not done so from the builder.

User Icon
Date/Time1/17/2013 at 9:24:49 PM

I appologise as I said it depends on the area. Obviously in T.O it is a requirement by code where 2 buildings are attached.


User Icon
Date/Time1/17/2013 at 9:29:49 PM

To this question, I must let you know that they are brand new towns, and the builder didn't put the drywall up. That's why I am questioning it, they did fireboard the opposite wall.

User Icon
Date/Time1/18/2013 at 6:04:48 AM

I see....I understand why you are asking and to the best of my knowledge I have tried to answer although I would still advise asking the local township or city to find out what their requirements are. Wish I could help you more.


Frank Waines

Waines World General Contracting

P.S and as you know they get away with alot on inspections so I wouldnt trust what they have had passed, protect yourself and find out from the city on this one lol.

User Icon
Date/Time1/18/2013 at 8:55:02 AM

When in doubt always go more then the code or what you may think its.

The small difference in price I would go with fire rated board.

User Icon
Date/Time1/18/2013 at 9:06:27 AM

Thanks guys.

User Icon
Date/Time1/18/2013 at 6:07:06 PM

In a basement the concrete block foundation wall should give you the required fire separation between units. If there are framed walls above the foundation wall that make up the party wall for the floors above you may need to install 5/8" Type 'X' Gypsum at the ring joist to make sure that fire cannot pass through the floor system into the party wall cavity.

Without seeing your specific job site it is hard to say exactly what would be required.

The attachment shows a typical party wall section with a 1.0 hr fire rating.

User Icon
John from JALS Corporation in Welland
Date/Time1/19/2013 at 1:02:09 PM

For the extra little cost between 1/2" or 5/8" drywall I would put up 5/8", although it is not required.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors