Categories

Is the $7600 labor quote I received reasonable for my kitchen remodel project?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Waukesha
1/20/2020 at 9:03:14 PM

Hi, we are remodeling our kitchen and its a pretty big project. I just want a couple of professionals to weigh in on if they think the quote I received on the labor is reasonable?

We paid about $10,500 for new kitchen cabinets through menards and are now hiring a contractor to install them, along with a couple other things.

We received a quote for the labor at $7,600. This would include removing and disposing of our old cabinets and countertops, including an island. There are about 35 feet of old cabinets (including the tops and bottoms) to remove and dispose of. It would include hanging all our new cabinets. The new cabinets needing installation would all be about the same dimensions/length as the old ones EXCEPT for an extra 10 foot bank of tall cabinets running the length of the old dining room. It would include installing our new quartz countertops (coming back to do that after doing the template, etc). The countertops would be about 21 feet in total length (including one 6 foot x 3 foot island). It would include taking out two small walls- one is about 3 to 4 feet and the other is about 2 to 3 feet. One of the walls being removed has an intake vent in it that will need to be moved via access through the basement. It would include all the drywall repair/patching (but not painting). It would include removal of our old backsplash (but not installation of our new one). It would also include taping mud and sand as needed and installing trim, etc... It would NOT include electrical.

Please let me know (with this limited information) if my 7600 dollar quote for all this just seems ballpark reasonable. I don't need it to be super precise (obviously). I just want to know if this figure seems within reasonable territory. The contractor seems extremely competent, has 30 years experience, and a good reputation.

REPLIES (11)
User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 12:21:34 AM

Your price of $7,600 for labour is more than reasonable for the amount of work you have described.

I would charge more from the sounds of it and I have 30 years of experience as well!

I strongly recommend you make sure he is reliable and check out a couple of his references.

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 12:49:55 AM

I agree also with the other response to this question. In my experience the quote you received seems rather low. I would ask for a detailed contract that states exactly what is and is not included for the price given. It is not uncommon for some contractors to bid low in order to get the contract and then add "extras" at the end that likely should have been included in the original contract. All that said as long as the contractor has good references and you know what you are getting for your money you should be safe.

A side note I noticed, it seems odd to me that the company providing the countertop slab would not also be installing the counter.

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 1:26:58 AM

Hi Dear.

Sounds a bit cheap to me, but this price is more than reasonable to me also.

My suggestion to you is that you request atleast 3 references which you can call and question from this contractor so that you're on the safe side. Im also a bit puzzled about your quartz countop not being installed by the person who sells it to you as the price of installation is often included in buying it. My dear i do have 17 years experience in the renovation industry and the list of work you mentioned sounds more like a minimum of $10600. Job to me.

Please me your self a favor

Do a little more research on this contractor.

Thank you

K.A

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 1:36:47 AM

I would consider that reasonable.

-John

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 2:21:58 AM

How many cabinets total ?

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 2:22:58 AM

I'm a certified boform kitchen installer aswell for a company called Norema

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 7:31:54 AM

Hi that price is lower than the cost of that job. I would have said about $10,000 for what you have said need to be done. Be careful he may come back for more money.

User Icon
Justin from J A Building Services in Hillcrest Mines
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 8:40:15 AM

I agree with the other replies. The work you stated seem more than the quote. The quartz counters are quite pricey. I am assuming the contractor is sub contracting the quartz? This is something that should only be installed by the supplier or you will have no warranty. Definitely confirm the work and get a few estimates.

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 9:04:02 AM

Seems, to me, to be reasonable for the job as described.

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 9:40:58 AM

This price is quite reasonable. You can proceed as long as this contractor has a good local reputation as you mentioned. Good luck!

User Icon
Date/Time1/21/2020 at 11:23:57 AM

Depending on who is supplying the material. the quote of 7600 isnt bad for a few days work with the right team. If he is supplying the material then thats a different ball game.

I would get a few more quotes,references,compare then make a decsion. Our company installs kitchens for HD,Lowes and ikea and we have seen some weird and scary stuff.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x