Categories

Part 9.36.2.1. Exclusions (Ontario building code)

Question Icon
Posted by: from Brantford
3/15/2023 at 2:08:41 AM

I would like some more knowledge on this section of the ontario building code as it relates to seasonal dwellings, I have questions about permits and what is required etc.

REPLIES (7)
User Icon
Richard in Edmonton
Date/Time3/15/2023 at 11:30:53 PM

You can easily search and read it for yourself.

https://www.buildingcode.online/2191.html

In Alberta there are certain types of minor projects (typically less than $5,000 in value) which may be exempt from building permits. Examples would be a minor interior alteration (non-structural). However this does not exempt you from complying with the Code except for those seasonal dwelling exemptions.

Often things will be done without permits and then found out later when it's time to sell or a neighbor complains for example and then the permit fees are typically doubled (at least in Alberta)

Is there something specific you're wondering about?

User Icon
Jay in Brantford
Date/Time3/16/2023 at 10:51:19 AM

What does this part and the section number 3 mean

User Icon
Richard in Edmonton
Date/Time3/16/2023 at 3:54:25 PM

In the Preface of the Code there is an explanation of the Numbering System. The sequence is Part,

Section, Subsection, Article Sentence, Clause and Subclause.

Excepting Relocatabloe Industrial Accommodation (Part 10) buildings are classified as either Part 9 (Housing and Small Buildings) or Part 3 buildings (which also includes larger residential buildings).

Part 9 residential buildings are up to 600 m2 in building area and up to 3 stories in height. A distinction is that all Part 3 residential buildings are required to be sprinklered. A 3 storey apartment building can be subdivided by firewalls (a concrete block wall) making each portion considered as a separate building with each portion allowed up to 600 m2 in area. I hope this answeres your questions.

User Icon
Dave from 360renos in Ottawa
Date/Time3/18/2023 at 2:32:41 PM

Hi Jay

You can also visit the Building department at city hall for your city and chat with the folks there as they will help you answer the questions you may have.

Cheers

Dave

360renos.ca

User Icon
Richard in Edmonton
Date/Time3/20/2023 at 3:59:35 PM

I just learned that the Ontario Building Code (OBC) is vastly different than the Alberta Building Code. I thought the Codes across Canada were somewhat unified and all based on the National Building Code with some provinces making their own minor amendments. Seems I was wrong after searching Section 3 of the OBC.

https://www.buildingcode.online/section3.html#:~:text=Section%203%20of%20the%20Ontario%20Building%20Code%20Section,-%20Radon%203.1.1.3.%20-%20Building%20in%20Flood%20Plains

This bears no resemblance to the ABC (Alberta Building Code). Sorry I couldn't help.

User Icon
Jay in Brantford
Date/Time3/20/2023 at 3:07:08 PM

Yes, it's completely different.

User Icon
Marco from MVC Contracting in Cantley
Date/Time3/22/2023 at 12:24:30 AM

This is a very broad post. In regards to seasonal dwellings the majority of info you may be looking for is based on the township or area you wish to build one. Is there something specific you're looking for.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x