What should I do to legalize my basement?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Brampton
11/30/2018 at 7:44:31 PM

I have a basement in Brampton but its not legal according to by law. So what iI should do to make it legal or even registered with the city

User Icon
Date/Time12/1/2018 at 6:26:16 AM


Your first step is to get the permit. Hire an architect to draw the existing condition of the basement as well as new proposals to city to make it legal as per building code in Brampton. Then contractor can follow that permit.

Our company is full service and we have architect available in home. We did 9 legal basement in Brampton last summer.



User Icon
Date/Time12/1/2018 at 8:16:19 AM

If you are going to rent it, you have to make it legal. The laws are there to protect you and your potential tenant.

First step is to call in a qualified contractor to identify what needs to be done to comply with the necessary codes.

Than you hire him to do it.

User Icon
Date/Time12/1/2018 at 8:48:57 AM

Hi Navdeep

Yes ,go to your Municipal Office there in

Brampton and they will provide you with a list of requirements for your legal basement

Apt. Big ticket Items : You'll require a large

egress window, Fire rated drywall on ceilings

and certain walls and separate entrance , most of the time this can be done from the same front hall, unfortunately some towns

are a little more strict then others. have drawings done up professionally. A BCIN Designer can provide you with this and he or she can have it stamped by a engineer if required.

User Icon
Date/Time12/1/2018 at 11:58:35 AM

Hello, the city should be more then willing to assist you in finding all of this information. They have people whos occupation is to do this service. Take care.

User Icon
Date/Time12/1/2018 at 9:59:30 PM

The concept of secondary suites is a recent introduction to the Code - first introduced 2 Codes ago. Before that time virtually all basement suites were 'illegal' due to the technical difficulties of satisfying Code for fire separations, etc.

The Code introduction allowed for some relaxations; however there's still lots to be don; i.e. the furnace room needs to be protected with regular 1/2" drywall with joints taped and openings sealed with caulking, insulation, etc. You may be asked to install smoke alarms in all bedrooms (a new Code requirement), all walls need to be protected with 1/2" drywall to meet flame-spread rating requirements for interior finishes.

You may find builders in your area building showhomes with secondary suites built-in so you can view some of the details required.

The plans examiners behind the counter can lead you through all the technicalities starting with any development regulations. There should be no need to involve an architect or engineer (professional involvement is mandated by Code for projects with more complexity but not for something like this).

User Icon
Date/Time12/2/2018 at 11:10:18 AM

You have to contact your municipality for more information. Most probably you would have to hire an engineer and get drawings submitted to get a permit.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors