Should a wall between two rooms be sound proofed by building code?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Richmond Hill
4/10/2017 at 10:47:53 PM

I am renovating two bathrooms which are separated just by a wall. After demolishing, the wall needs to be rebuilt. The contractor asked me if I want to sound proof the wall to avoid noise from one another. I said yes, but the contractor ask me to pay extra for the sound proof.

Is this right? I thought the sound proof should be the building code by law.

Please advise if this is extra from the contracting work.


User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:07:49 AM

is depending on type of building and even more variables.

i would get a consultant (architect designer to establish it is a viable extra)

If is in building code he should supply it if he did not specifically note that it is not in his price.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:07:57 AM

It's not needed by the building code and always charged as extra.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:09:32 AM

Not required by building code. If wanted it's extra.

User Icon
Schweizer Interior in Chilliwack
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:11:56 AM

Sound proofing a wall between two rooms in residential is not code. This is extra work and extra charge.

It's all up to you if you want it or not.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:14:22 AM

It's not required by code, only Exterior walls are.Its good your Contractor asked you. I would pay the extra to sound or off it. It shouldn't be that much money but well worth it.

User Icon
James from BAM Inc. in Calgary
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:17:07 AM

Hi there,

Soundproofing is not required by building code. Building code is in place for safety of the occupants in a building. Your contractor is suggesting an option that is over and above building code requirements. This service requires additional materials and labour and is a fair item to pay additional for.

You should also be aware that the term soundproofing is misleading. It should be termed "sound deadening". Even though materials can be added to the wall to decrease sound transfer, the sound will not be completely eliminated, only reduced.

I hope that you find this helpful.


James Bradwell

Bradwell & Mallette Developments Inc.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:17:09 AM

Agreed with majority.

It's not code, sound proofing is good to have. And yes it would be billed as an extra.



User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 10:22:15 AM

Usually your interior walls have no insulation because they do not need to be. If you do go with sound proofing there are various options. You can go with thicker drywall or double it up and heavy insulation on the inside. Or get special panels installed if thats what your trying to achieve.

When you remove the receptacles from the wall and reinstall them make sure he takes out a permit for the work.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 11:28:13 AM


It is not required by code. It doesn't sound proof the wall but does lessen the sound between rooms. True sound-proofing requires almost a double insulated wall with material meant for that purpose. I would suggest doing it, just to lessen the sound transfer between the rooms. The cost should not vary much. It doesn't take much time or material to go from non sound proofing to sound proofing. Get a quote and discuss with your contractor. I did mine and I just absorber the cost and "value added".

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 2:10:02 PM

Soundproofing is not a standard building code requirement. It can be specified in by an architect or designer and they are extra because if needed material and labor. However, quality of soundproofing varies and there are standards that apply for different levels of soundproofing. The higher the level the higher the cost.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 6:18:59 PM

Most of the friends have confirmed that its not a building code. When it was removed what did you see? Was it sound proof? If not then you were ok with what was there. This was the ONLY opportunity to upgrade while you are renovating, which is a good part that contractor asked you. I think it goes on both side as he did not tell you that its an extra item and you did not ask him. SO BOTH the parties assumed - Right as a home owner if the contractor is doing a good job you should consider to pay him material and labour + 20% to be fair.

Next time as a home owner FIRST ask is it going to cost me EXTRA??? Hope that helps.

User Icon
Date/Time4/11/2017 at 8:21:43 PM

Yes you have to pay but you can go and buy it your self.

User Icon
Date/Time4/12/2017 at 11:00:43 PM

No building code for such thing and it's all up to you if you want to use such insulation and that's mean extra cost of course.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors