What type of contractor is best to evaluate sagging load bearing wall?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Langley
2/13/2015 at 6:21:02 PM

One can visually see from the two car garage where the supporting beams run through it sags and has started to compress one of the posts. Would like some feed back on what do.

What type of contractor or business would be best suited to deal with something like this?

Only looking for feedback at this time.

User Icon
Mark from CMJ Renovations in Oakville
Date/Time2/13/2015 at 8:22:36 PM

My advise would be to call in a structural engineer in your area. They can advise you what needs to be done to correct the problem and also tell you who is best to call to correct it



User Icon
Manuel from A.A.U. Construction in Toronto
Date/Time2/13/2015 at 10:06:37 PM

Hi Rob,

Not much more to say than Mark from oakville said. He is dead on. (Structural engineer)

User Icon
Ryan from Rosko Inc in Hamilton
Date/Time2/14/2015 at 8:50:38 AM

A Structural engineer at this point would be best, then a licensed general contractor with a proven track record of structural restoration.

User Icon
Steve from OMC Contracting in Kitchener
Date/Time2/14/2015 at 2:51:55 PM

Hi Rob,

First you call is a contractor to inspect the problem and to give you solution to resolve the problem, then structural engineer to size the load bearing beams beams and support. Structural engineers works for contractor not contractor for structural engineer. He is the link between contractor and the building code.


User Icon
G A Fraser Custom Contracting Inc in Norwood
Date/Time2/15/2015 at 4:58:06 PM

Hi Rob

Agree with Mark, Manuel & Ryan; a structural engineer is qualified to advise. Also, as you will be carrying out structural repair work you will need a building permit and in order to obtain one you will probably need engineered drawings in any event.

Your local building inspector can probably recommend a good structural engineer in your area if you are unsure who to approach. Then, as Ryan said, a licensed, insured contractor who is experienced in structural repair/restoration to carry out the work per drawings.

It's also possible to go the other route - find a good, experienced General Contractor who will co-ordinate/liaise with both a structural engineer & codes. This will probably be more expensive (as you will pay for the GC's time to do this - & also some GC's mark-up on everything!) but they can oversee everything on your behalf.

Good luck with your project!


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors