Categories

Mould Concerns

Question Icon
Posted by: from Edmonton
11/18/2011 at 12:33:19 PM

We had water infiltration 18 months ago into the attic, subsequently we have re-roofed, and properly ventilated the space, and the attic has been clean and dry for over 12 months, However there is still the same speratic small areas of what appears to be mould on the back side of the ceiling drywall in the attic, which appeared at the time of the water damage (only on the back paper, no further penetration). I have utilized the CMHC bleach test which has indicated that it is probably not mould and/or it is now inert.

My question is if the attic is clean and dry and remains so, and if this is or was mould, is it now actually inert, and if so, without moisture, will it remain inert and not grow, and/or does it pose an indoor health issue even though it is confined to the attic?

Thank you for your response.

REPLIES (2)
User Icon
Date/Time11/18/2011 at 2:17:59 PM

Hi Bruce!

Mould can be dangerous. But in your case where you have solved the water problem and the mould cannot grow. Mould needs moisture, and as long as it can't get it it will not continue.

So it sounds like that mould you have there is inert. If you can get to it easily you can wash it with soap and water. Then there is a product that home depot sells called mould control. Spray it with that and thats it.

Most houses have mould in them even newer house. Sometimes people get carried away with the severity of it. But in large amounts and with spores in the air that mould can be very dangerous. As far as it being a health hazard I think you are more than safe there.

If you are however still nervous about it consult someone in your area that does mould abatement. They can check it out for you and even clean it for you but at a cost.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Brent Smith

User Icon
Date/Time11/18/2011 at 7:31:01 PM

Hi Bruce:

My firm builds on Vancouver Island where mould is always an issue. There are various "Specialty Products" on the market at varried prices, but Clorox (bleach) is the basis for all of these products.

Spray or wash it with a bleach solution, and that will kill the spores. Just make sure that your attic says well ventillated and dry. If you have any problems in other areas, just go to your laundry room!

Chuck

Meadowood Homes, Qualicum Beach

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

 
Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

It appears you may be located in the US

TrustedPros is designed to deliver results targeted to your location.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.


x