There is no doubt appliances make our lives easier but they can also become dangerous and pose significant risks if they are not maintained properly. The following list is a room by room guide of potential safety risks in your home from appliances not properly maintained. The good news is that with a click of the mouse on your computer you can have a qualified professional contractor or service person come to you home to help you safely solve your issue restoring your appliance to good working order.
Heating and Cooling System
- If you have electric baseboard heating, keep anything flammable away from the vents and make sure there are no bare wires showing anywhere. If a heater quits working, do not try to diagnose yourself, contact a professional.
- The air conditioning system will have a fuse box, make sure you find out what type of fuses you have and buy extras keeping them in a safe place. They won't blow out until it's dangerously hot and it will be a holiday when no store is open.
- Gas heat is efficient and low cost but can be a source of carbon monoxide which is deadly. Ensure a professional check your heating system annually to ensure it is operating correctly and safely.
Hot Water Heater
- Set your water temperature on the H2O heater below the recommended line so no one will burn themselves. Set it very low if you have small children.
- Ensure you know how to reset the pilot light if you have a gas powered unit. If you are unsure, call out a professional and have them teach you, it is well worth the money.
- The garbage disposal in your home can be an accident waiting to happen. If something gets stuck or it quits working properly, DO NOT try to fix the problem yourself, hire a qualified contractor or repair person, your fingers will thank you.
- Whether you have an electric or gas stove the danger from burning is ever present when it is on. Make sure you are familiar with all aspects of operating the stove and if it is gas powered be sure to know how to shut off the gas supply in case of a problem.
- Small appliances such as coffee makers, can openers, grinders, blenders, etc are very useful but make sure to check the electrical cords for any nicks or bare spots. If you find any, call an appliance repair service, it is relatively inexpensive to have them rewired. If you aren't using a small appliance, UNPLUG IT, no need to leave it plugged in waiting to short out, catch on fire, or turn on by itself.
- Check the hoses on the washing machine; consider replacing them with the stronger, safer metal braid hoses available at most home improvement stores.
- If your washing machine rattles on spin cycle, it may need leveling. Consider have a contractor or appliance professional come out to level your washer, change your hoses out, and check and clean your dryer vent pipe all at the same time for a reasonable price.
TrustedPros can help you with your appliance repair and service needs. Simply list your project for free and you will have contractors and service professionals in your area bidding for your business. You can check their references, get a detailed quote, and make your decision privately with no obligation or fee.