Renovation business question

Question Icon
Posted by: from Surrey
6/15/2012 at 7:24:33 PM

Hello all,

Thinking about starting a renovation business where i would act as a general contractor in the vancouver area. Apart from a business license from the city, im a little confused as to what kind of license I may need and or if any?

Can anyone guide me to the right information?

Do i need some sort of renovation license? if so where do i get this from. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Jon S

User Icon
Date/Time6/15/2012 at 10:16:50 PM

The city were you will be working, will be able to answer all your questions. Each city is different on there requirements.

User Icon
Date/Time6/16/2012 at 10:22:18 AM


As was mentioned by James, contact the city or county office. It depends on where you would be working and what you would be doing.

I am in Alberta, about 85 km west of Edmonton and I have a license from the County. I do not have any tickets for electrical or plumbing but will do minor repairs. I always tell my clients up front ... what I an "qualified" to do. If they ask for something beyond my basic knowledge, I decline.

Don't take chances either with the safety aspect or legal issues.

Good Luck.

User Icon
Date/Time6/16/2012 at 10:49:28 AM


As mentioned before, every city is different but so long as you contact the city they will tell you exactly what it is that you need as well as how much it will cost you.

Good Luck with your new business.

Thank you,

Sherri & Dustin Depatie

Seamless Finishing Inc.

Office : 780-760-3852

Sherri : 780-297-0986

Dustin : 780-885-2231

User Icon
Boris from Enchant Management in Calgary
Date/Time6/16/2012 at 4:37:32 PM

You may be required to have a Provincial license in B.C. too.

We carry a Provincial license in Alberta plus City of Calgary requires licensing. When we work outside of Calgary in the surrounding MD's they have their own licensing requirements.

User Icon
Date/Time3/28/2013 at 11:36:37 AM

I'm in Toronto, here you need a business license (from province) and a building renovators license (from city). There are 2 classes "Building Renovator-TRADE Class "A" and Building Renovator-CONTRACTING Class "B". We can apply for one or both. Class" A" meaning the licensee will do some or all of the work which they are licensed for and Class "B" all work must be done through sub contracting.

I'm pretty sure all provinces especially big cities will have the same requirements. Simply visit the city website under municipal licensing & standards.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.