Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost of white vinyl chain link installed

Approximate cost of 370 lineal feet, 5 foot high, white chain link, with 2 man gates installed?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 11, 2016
Changing from baseboard heating to natural gas

Hi, I have purchased a 4 plex unit, and currently it is baseboard heating. the unit is about 30 years old. I am willing to consider putting in Natural Gas. Would someone have an idea of how much it ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 10, 2016
Is my basement reno quote too high?

Hi all, I recently had a reputable contracting/design firm design a 700 square foot basement reno in St. Thomas ON (near London) and later furnish a quote. I think their quote is quite high a...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 12, 2016
Mouldy basement drywall

We live in a R2000 home, 5 years old with no central AC. We have an air exchanger but don't run it in summer because it doesn't cycle on and off. We keep the fan running on the furnace. We leave a c...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 21, 2017
Cost for wallpaper installation

I might want to have one wall installed with wallpaper. The wall is 7' x 8'. How much is it to install just for labour? Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
Rebuild concrete foundation wall

My house has a rectangular patio delimited by walls, with foundation. The soil under the patio is clay and, after repeated freezing, the patio pulled slightly the corner of the house. There are now ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 10, 2016
Cost for extension in Montreal

Hi, We live in a classic Montreal attached triplex. We have a perfectly rectangular home of 25'x40'. We have a large backyard of an additional 25'x35'. We would like to add another room a...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 8, 2016
Painting charges

Hey everyone, Just a quick question. How are paint jobs quoted? I've done a lot of painting in my life. I'm not a professional painter with decades of experience, but I'm an hones...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 9, 2016
Negligent sub contractor

I signed a contract for a new roof with Company A, which included removal of the existing shingles before attaching the new metal roof. Company A used subcontractors (Company B). Company B removed ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 8, 2016
What to use for covering pressure treated posts

I have 2 6 x6 pressure treated wood posts on my front gallery that I would like to cover for maintenance purposes. Would anyone have any suggestions what I can use? I have not found anything in my local har...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 9, 2016
Average pay rate per bundle for roofer

What is the average rate to pay a roofer per bundle in Ontario?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 7, 2016
Vapour barrier for kitchen reno

We are doing a reno in our kitchen. It has popcorn ceiling. We would also like to add recessed lighting. My question is about the vapour barrier. There is currently a 2mm vapour in attic. Can you add a va...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 9, 2016
Cost for making a vaulted ceiling

How much will it cost to open up a ceiling - making it like a vaulted ceiling with exposed trusses, including insulationg the roof, installing and painting the drywall. approx.50 sq meters?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 7, 2016
What to do when contractor owes money?

Hello everyone, I have a question in regards to the job that was completed. I am a subcontractor and I did a job for the contactor who did not pay me. I know that the client was very happy with my jo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 8, 2016
Cost for levelling floor

My kitchen floor is sloping and sagging. The kitchen is an addition to a mobile home. Could you tell me the cost?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 9, 2016
Knockdown and build vs. major reno

Hello, I'll try to keep this short. I've considered several different options of figuring out the "forever home." While I'm still trying to figure out the knockdown and build vs. maj...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 27, 2016
Reviews for adding separate entrance for basement

Where can I find reviews for doing a separate entrance for the basement?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
Cost to open up existing closet

What would it cost to open up existing bedroom closet that currently has only one door. It's difficult to reach clothes at the back. The same closet in master bedroom has two doors, opening in the midd...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
Contractor asking me to pay sub-contractor direct

Hi, My contractor is unable to pay his sub-contractor and has asked me to pay the sub-contractor direct from the next goal payment from our contract? What should I do? The work has now stoppe...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
What would it cost to put a rooftop deck on double garage?

My 2-story house is already at max footprint so the only option for a deck or sunroom is on the roof of my garage. It's a double with a peak roof, no interior ceiling, just trusses. Do I need engine...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x