Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost for separate entrance for the basement

What is the cost for adding a separate entrance for the finished basement, going down from the back yard of my townhouse?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 19, 2020
Drywall prices

What's the going rate for hanging drywall + tape and sanding?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 4, 2016
Cost for a basement separate entrance from the backyard

I am thinking of opening a separate entrance for the finished basement that I have from the backyard, and I am wondering how much would this cost me. Thank you...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 3, 2016
How much do i charge in labor only to paint a 1-bedroom apartment?

How much do i charge, in labor only, to paint a 1-bedroom (empty) apartment with a small storage room, a 3 shelf pantry with door and kitchen/living-diningroom combo. Trim/casing and...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
Lowes Lar and Accounts Receivable

Wondering the pros and cons. Can anyone shed some light?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 2, 2016
Converting a two story family room into a bedroom suite

How much would it cost to convert a 13ftx16ft two story (18 ft open to above) family room into a fifth bedroom with possibly a small bathroom? The upper windows would have to be raised as they are l...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 31, 2016
Acrylic stucco

Can you apply a new coat of acrylic stucco over the existing acrylic stucco to change the color of the house? Thanks, Bob ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 1, 2016
Cost for extension in Montreal

Hello All, I have raised bungalow in Montreal and am thinking of adding an extension to the back. The extension does not have to raised. I included a rough drawing of the idea. The reason is that I would...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
Plumbing apprentice

Hi, I'm 28 years old and I'm willing to get my plumbing apprentice done. I did lot of research but I couldn't find anybody to answer my questions. I'm a experienced plumber in England and...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 30, 2016
Anchoring to an exterior brick veneer wall

Hi everyone, I am considering shade sail(s) for our patio, however, since it's an exposed aggregrate patio, I will need to attach at least one or two ends of the sail(s) ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 30, 2016
Underlayment for engineered wood floor on cement sub floor

Hi, I am laying engineered wood floating floor in my sub-basement bed rooms over cement sub-floor. I got "Eco cork form:" underlayment from Home depot. It has built in 6-mil vapour barrier. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 29, 2016
Legal options for unfinished basement by a single guy posed as a basement building contractor?

4 months back a hired a guy to finish my basement, through a friends reference and no formal contract signed but general information typed and list of work and task to complete and paid him $5k as advan...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 2, 2016
How to anchor a handrail to a 6" diameter metal support beam without drilling into it

I'm installing a hand rail from the basement to a landing. One end will be attached to wood framing and the other will be attached to 6" diameter load bearing metal post. I don't want to drill into ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 29, 2016
Cost for carpet instalation

I have 850 sqaure feet with 30 stairs in my townhouse. Looking for cost to rip out the old carpet and install the new. Any ideas of the ballpark of cost Iam looking at. I have had some pretty out there quotes f...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 28, 2016
Open loft under slanted ceilings: remove/cover popcorn ceilings

What is an price range for: 1) drywall application to loft (sloped) ceilings + taping + priming +painting 2) removal/resurfacing/replastering of popcorn ceilings of lof...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 5, 2016
How much to put away for taxes?

I recently opened my own renovation business and have read some things about how much to put away for taxes and I'm wondering if it is 15% or 25% of my overall earnings. I understand writing things ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 27, 2016
Rough cost of turning a 650 sq ft unfinished basement into a legal suite, in Victoria BC

Looking to purchase a house with an individual basement in Victoria. Trying to see if it's feasible to turn the basement into a legal suite....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 27, 2016
Cost to paint room

Hi I just wanted to know what is the price to paint a basic room. The size is 12 x 12 with 8 ft ceilings. I would be providing the paint. Thanks...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 28, 2016
Need a bigger garage - tear down or add on?

I live on a corner lot with a small bungalow and a solid brick one and a half detached garage. Would like to have a work shop in a garage, the existing is to small for anything other then a car. Questi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 25, 2016
How to whiten exterior sides of the house

I had purchased this house from a builder a number of years ago. On both sides of the the exterior of the house where the side concrete walls meet the ground, there is a black coating that was pasted on the...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 26, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x