Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
taking down walls and all new flooring

We have a 1500 sq.ft. home and want to take down the wall that runs almost through the middle of the main floor. We know there are two support beams because the same beams are downstairs (unfinished baseme...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 3, 2008
Second Storey Addition

Hi There! We currently have a three level split home. We require some more space so were thinking about adding on a second level addition. We have received a quote from a contractor and this 500 sq foot ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 3, 2008
Heating problem

I have been looking at my heating system in my unfinished basement. I am going to be finishing it soon and I would like to "redo" some of the vent work, pipes, etc. Sorry I don't know th...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 7, 2008
Making an old home look new again

I would like to know if it is advisable to have someone come in and do some drawings of what we can possible do to our home before getting prices from contractors. We are thinking about changing the layout...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 20, 2008
Renovation Show in early development

We're looking for Contractors AND Homeowners that are involved in a renovation gone bad, where talks have stalled and it seems as if there's no resolution. If you're a contractor and feel tha...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 22, 2008
what floor goes well with hydronic radiant heating system?

I am thinking about removing the carpet in the house due to my kids allergy. I don't feel like putting concrete floor in their rooms, and the laminate floor is so cold to walk on bare foor in the winte...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 7, 2008
suspecting molds

I suspect there is mold growth in the bathroom and bedrooms, but it doesn't smell. Who should I ask for help? I am in vancouver area. thanks ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 25, 2008
Recycled Building Material

I am looking to reclaim some building material that would otherwise be sent to the landfill. The items that I am interested in are Kitchen cabinets and barn board or similar siding material. cns@moonlitep.com...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 14, 2009
Direct Buy?

We are adding a major addition incl kitchen, bedrooms and garage. Is being a member of Direct Buy worth it? Is anyone a member? Thanks...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post December 1, 2008
looking for a mentor

My name is Benjamin Wiens,I am 24 and live in Langley BC. I have 5 yrs. of glazing exp. and am looking for someone who is willing to take on an apprentice in the renovation trade. I have excellent communica...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 5, 2015
Basement Reno

Looking to renovate my basement. I've been getting a wide range of pricing, just want to know what the going rate is per sq ft for complete finish not including flooring....

Number of Responses 61 Date of Last Post April 22, 2016
Bid Sheets

Should I have my own bid sheets when contractors start to come and give quotes? What else should I do to prepare for this? We either want to do an extensive add on or build new........

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 16, 2008
Hard Wood or Laminate

We have laminate in our house right now, I find it hard to clean (we have animals). We are about to re-do and add on to our house. We cannot decide if we should continue with the laminate or g...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 29, 2022
Small specialized jobs, or larger all inclusive job?

Hi all, Wife and I recently took possession of a 19 year old condo townhouse in dowtown Toronto. We have a number of projects we are looking at, which range from small electrical and plumbing jobs...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 22, 2007
Bad Contractors Giving The Rest Of Us A Bad Name

Hi There, Shawn Levy from Arrow Contracting. I am extremely frustrated with the amount of customers I have encounted who have been taken in one way or another by unprofessional contractors. Because of th...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post December 28, 2015
Any complaints about Hardwood flooring from Able Auctions?

We recently purchased some solid hardwood flooring from Able Auctions in Calgary. (The one we bought is a "Kempas" solid hardwood). Anyone here have any comments/ complaints about their h...

Number of Responses 26 Date of Last Post March 29, 2016
Costs for drawings?

Hi, I'm looking at doing a renovation (addition, new kitchen) on my East York semi. We've spoken to a couple of all-in-one desginer/builders, but we're interested ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 5, 2008
British Gypsum

Is British Gypsum plaster available in Canada? If not, what’s the best 'bet' over here. Have loads of jobs lined up....thanks all!...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 3, 2007
adding a second story to a back split house

We are thinking of converting our back split level into a two story. Has anyone done this to their house, and do they have any suggestions or comments. Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 28, 2008
Carpet or hardwood flooring?

My husband and I are in the middle of remodeling our home and are having a hard time deciding on going with carpet or hardwood flooring for the main floor and basement. We are definitely going with carpet throu...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 16, 2022
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x