Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Load bearing post in dirt crawlspace

I have a load bearing post in the centre of my home. It's in a dirt crawlspace and has sunk. How can I fix it?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 22, 2016
Renovate or rebuild?

I have a 100 year old detached two storey brick home in the beach district in Toronto. It has not been updated since the 1970's and will need a complete gutting and renovation and a third floor added, ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 21, 2016
Baseboard cost

Hi, I'm just wondering what the going rate in Alberta is per foot to install baseboard. MDF and Hardwood. But only the cost to install, not the cost of material. Thank you!...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 24, 2016
Noisy townhouse neighbours

End unit of a townhouse complex and need to insulate between ours and the neighbours master bedrooms. Will a second layer of drwywall help? Should we tear down and fill with batt insulation? Any sugges...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post September 20, 2016
Fibrepass patio door plus 2 fixed windows

What is the cost to install a fireglas patio door with 2 windows and 1 door?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 20, 2016
Cost to remove fence post

Cost to remove very rotten fence post....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 2, 2016
Laws or zoning issues for in-law/secondary suite

Hello, I am interested in converting a basement (from a cottage or bungalow) into a rental unit in either Montreal or Laval. Does anyone know if this can be done? Mainly any laws/zoning ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 20, 2016
Cost of building a master bedroom and bathroom over a flat roof

I am considering building an additional room and bathroom over the roof of my property. I have a flat roof. I am considering something like a 170 sq feet bedroom and an 90 sq feet bath. Very rougthly,...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 19, 2016
Rebuild or tear down in Malton?

Hi there, Our house that we are purchasing was built in 1966. It is built well. We want to add a second floor and increase the existing square footage to double (2400 as opposed to 1200) and re...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 20, 2016
Cost of huge addition in Ottawa?

Hello, I am planning on hopefully purchasing a house in Ottawa with the intent of a long term investment. Here is my plan: purchase a very old run down house on a large piece of land, and use tha...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 17, 2016
Rotted floor joists - is this a viable solution?

We have an extension that is built on to and spans the back of our house. The extension sits on pillars and it has a 2.5' crawl space The problem that we have is with rotting, compromised and/or ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 17, 2016
Basement insulation and chemical smell

I recently insulated my exterior wall and finished my basement. I used r12 owens corning. Now my basement and house have a chemical smell. I installed a subfloor (plastic) under floor with press woo...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 19, 2016
Need urgent help to unlock door

My door was recently serviced. I requested them to install high security lock for my front door and storage room. They installed the security lock and we felt safer than earlier. But I made a mistake. I somehow...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 16, 2016
Suitable flooring for renovating a rail car with wood heat

We have an old rail car that we wish to renovate for a cottage. We live in Manitoba and have hot summers and cold winters. What kind of floor would be good to use that could tolerate being unheated and then h...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 16, 2016
Cost to build a workshop

What is the average cost for me to build (I will be doing all labour) to build a 15 x 30 one story workshop? I'll be doing all electrical also....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 16, 2016
Paint estimate in Moncton, NB

I need a ball park price for quoting a 1200 sq ft story and a half home, 4 colours with paint supplied in Moncton, New Brunswick. Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 15, 2016
A tin of driveway sealer or someone to spray oil-based ??

I have a 10 year old asphalt driveway. It has never been treated in any way from day 1! There are different opinions on the way to improve the condition of the driveway. 1. Leave it as it is. 2. Bu...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 13, 2016
Sealant or a Paint? A world of difference

Please look at the black tar strip on the exterior side of the house, the tar had been pasted onto the bare concrete. Should I use a sealant which will not allow the exterior concrete surface to breath&#...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 13, 2016
Cost to build a 6 foot high wood fence approx 60-70 feet long

I would like to match the fence style next door. It is 6x8 panels with what looks like 4x4 posts. The fence will run straight for approx 50 feet then over to the house for another 20 feet. I might need some cha...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 7, 2017
Foundation waterproofing

We recently purchased a new build home. Upon moving in we discovered a small leak in the basement which has since been patched. The guy did a really good job, nice and neat, no more leak. We also not...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 12, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x