Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Foundation Repair

I have a house that was built roughly 80 years ago. It is on a brick and mortar foundation that is starting to let in quite a lot of water and looks to be deteriorating in some spots. Is it dangerous to dig...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 23, 2013
Kitchen Floor Not Level

Will adjusting support beams in basement cause shifting to the upstairs such as drywall cracking, door jambs and windows shifting?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 21, 2013
Custom Armoire Cost?

Hello Pros, We're looking at purchasing an armoire for our master bedroom but are finding it difficult locating one that matches the style and size we want. I was curious as to the cost to build ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 17, 2013
HELP needed!

We live in the Burlington Ontario area and hired a contractor to renovate our kitchen. After 4 weeks of poor work, and sometimes illegal work, they just quit the job, leaving us in a bad situation....

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post May 22, 2013
Vinyl Siding on Mobile Home

Hi! I own a mobile home and I've noticed that the siding on one side seems to have slipped down a bit. Does anyone know if this means my home needs leveling? My doors all close fine. Does th...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 17, 2013
Plaster

What would it cost for plastering 2200 sqft, in a newly built basement? 3 rooms, two closets and a hallway. How would you come up with that amount?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 7, 2013
New Basement

Good morning, I bought a bungalow and I am finishing the basement. I will have my office in that basement so I intend to use the basement as much as the main floor. I wanted to put ceramic floor with a...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post September 28, 2014
Recovering Money from Bad Renovator

The guy who "renovated" my home has been terminated. We are in the process of having all of the "work" he did torn down and redone. I was told that I could put a lien on his next job if it was ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 3, 2013
Load Bearing or Not

I have a 10 ft long wall I want to remove to open up a space of 23ft by 23ft. I have w trusses made out of 2x4s and gangnailed plates. They are spaced 24 inchs on center. I am in a one story bungalow. There...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 5, 2013
Bathroom Fan Installation?

Hi, I am wondering about what you think cost would be to put a bathroom fan in? I have new wiring in a 1953 home to light switch and plug in and new panel box in house but there is no fan in bat...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 24, 2013
Basement Problem

We have purchased our house in August 2011. We love it. It has a big yard, house is good size for us, and we love the layout. We do need to update our kitchen and main floor floors, but this is m...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 9, 2013
Kitchen Tiles Installation

I am planning to install ceramic tiles on my kitchen. What would be the standard per Sq Ft installation cost for 180 SFT area? Per SFT cost should include all material costs for intallation. Appreciate...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post April 29, 2013
Subfloor needed for carpet install in the basement?

Hi Pros, We are about to install new carpet to our basement. My parents will be moving in to live down there. The previous owner had engineered hardwood + carpet there but my parents think its too co...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 18, 2013
Soundproofing and Shared Heating Vents

I am planning to soundproof the ceiling of a downstairs suite bedroom that has our guest bedroom above it. I understand what needs to be done to decouple the ceiling with hat channel and clips, and add mas...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 17, 2013
Handycanadian.com Website

Just wondering if someone could give me some feedback on this site and what would you rate it out of 10 as a means for advertising and getting actual contracts. As a contractor is this a site that works fo...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post May 13, 2013
Running Gutter Drain Underground to Street

I have two downspouts that spill onto my driveway and freeze in winter. Running pipe underground toward the street. Will that solve my problems? Seen many houses with this set up. I have a decent slope but ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 12, 2013
Paver Patio Installation Cost

What is the going rate to install a paver patio in the Toronto area, excluding the paver cost? Thanks...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 13, 2013
Finishing a Basement

Hi there, I am looking at finishing my basement and was wondering what to expect to pay as far as a per sq ft price. I am not looking to have any plumbing done, mainly just adding a bedroom, ...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post April 15, 2013
Attic Conversion

I am wondering what I should expect to budget for an attic conversion that is already partially complete (old home owners did it in 2009). The space is 22'x15 - there are 5' knee walls, ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 13, 2013
Looking For Bubble Wrap Supplier

Does anyone know where I can buy a large quantity of bubble wrap in Burlington, ON to wrap flat screen TVs before crating them? The big box stores are too expensive for the size and quantity they of...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 10, 2013
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x