Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
New Slate Roof

We have a century old home that we are in the middle of restoring to it's glory years, the original wood work has been preserved from the floors to the ceiling and we are now in the process of getting q...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 29, 2013
Adding a Basement to Existing 2 Level Home on 4ft Crawl

Looking for information, tips, references, links, do's, don'ts... Is a contractor the best place to start or an architect? Have approached municipality & house-raising compan...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 26, 2013
Basement Flooring

Our basement has flooded four times and we are sick of hauling out soaking wet carpet everytime it gets water in it. Our basement has weeping tile underneath the whole basement as it is sitting on a spring and...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post April 9, 2013
Load Bearing Wall

We are considering replacing the load bearing wall to give an open concept. However I understand there's a high risk of collapse. Removing the load bearing wall and replacing it with a 17 foot micro lamb la...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post August 10, 2015
French Drains

We have an area at the rear of our home that has very little grade and no down spouts. We are looking at adding some down spouts but will have gardens beds close to the down spouts. Is it adviseable to insta...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post August 2, 2015
I plan to do home extension, sunroof and a bedroom on the main floor. How long does this project usually take?

I plan to do home extension, sunroof and a bedroom on the main floor. How long does this project usually take? What kind of a foundation is the best for Ottawa Kanata soil?...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post April 6, 2013
Sliding Glass Door

Hi Pros, Any idea how much it would cost to install a sliding glass door at the back of a house that currently does not have a door? So in other words a cut has to be made to fit and door installed. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 9, 2013
Small water puddle in basement after big thaw

Hi, I am a newbie to forums. Pls. pardon any oversights. I have noticed a small amount of water at the junction of the wall with the floor in my basement especially after a thaw following a large snow...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 23, 2013
Is the saniflo system for basememt bathroom is cheaper than a new plumbing system?

Broke a concrete floor to reach the pipe or install a saniflo system....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 30, 2013
Radiant Flooring Questions on Two Projects

Hi, I am planning two projects and considering radiant heating via cable in concrete as the way to heat both. 1) a 18 x 12 backyard studio for my wife to teach yoga in. 2) turning a 19 x 11 bas...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 28, 2013
How Much Should Plumbing Cost?

Hey, I have a basement to do later on and just curious about the cost of plumbing. a) Setting up the drain, water pipes and shower pipe as well as toilet drain for a bathroom. b) the drai...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 30, 2013
Heated Flooring

Hello all, I am building a new home and want the floor in the basement to be heated. What are available systems that can be bought from suppliers in Ottawa, On. How much is it sq.ft.? Many T...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 31, 2013
Electrical

I'm wiring a basement washroom with an inline fan which will also exhaust the upstairs washroom. The power will come from an existing 15 AMP breaker. The power (14-2 wire) can be run into any ...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post March 20, 2013
Water Damaged Pre Engineered Wood Condo Flooring

A portion - 8 ft x 5 ft square of my condo flooring was damaged by flooding. It is now buckling and has air pockets. It is pre engineered hardwood flooring in a tongue & groove installation. Can anyone g...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 18, 2013
Coldroom to Washroom Conversion

I want to convert my Coldroom in the basement into washroom. Could it be possible?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 18, 2013
HELP! Damaged Floor Joists in a Century Balloon Framed Home

Looking for professional help! Hope I'm in the right category...please let me know if this should be in repair. Thought we'd switch out the fixtures in the 2nd floor bath and found a nightmare. ...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post March 21, 2013
Egress Windows

What is the size of egress windows in accordance to Ontario Building Code?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 17, 2013
Window Cracks

I have fixed many cracks above and below windows and doors but they always come back. I have tried Durabond, drydex and plain old Mud. I have used paper tape and fiber tape but most of them re-appear. H...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 21, 2013
Redoing Stairs with Laminate

I plan to do the laminate installation on my stairs myself, however there is a portion of the staircase that is open to the side. The railings will be replaced as well and will sit on top of the laminate. ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 26, 2013
Looking for the right subfloor for basement

This probably has been discussed many times, but I haven't seen the comparisons of the subfloor products that are out there. I have a basement that I'd like to renovate--it's about ...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post December 8, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x