Province to Province license for small reno

Question Icon
Posted by: from Edmonton
4/19/2018 at 10:55:05 AM

I have a question concerning a small renovation I was asked to do for a friend in Burlington, ON.

I am a licensed contractor in Alberta and am visiting my sister in Ontario. I was asked to remove an existing bathtub and install a new one in the same place. Hook up a new tub/shower faucet in the existing place. To also remove the existing tile that is on the three wall surrounding the tub and retile it.

Do I need any certification or license of any kind to do this small job?

Thank you,


User Icon
Date/Time4/19/2018 at 12:22:05 PM

To work in Ontario you need to either have a business that is register in ontario or is registered federally. If your business is registered in Alberta only you probably cannot work in Ontario. I know Toronto you need to be licensed with the city. I am not certain of Burlington.

User Icon
Date/Time4/19/2018 at 12:41:52 PM

If u have to pull permits. If u do u will need.

User Icon
Date/Time4/19/2018 at 12:43:30 PM

Hi Kim,

Not sure why this would be an issue. You are helping a friend and plumbing is not being moved and it is a very small job. Not necessary to be licensed in Ontario.

User Icon
Robert from ElecTriLight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time4/19/2018 at 2:57:20 PM

If there is any electrical work to be moved, added or relocated, you cannot do this work yourself, however if the homeowner claims some small electrical work on your behalf, they MUST apply for an inspection. Replacing plugs switches or lights is exempt, but adding a shower light or replacing a surface light with a recessed light, a permit must be applied for.

User Icon
Dre from Demo King in Hamilton
Date/Time4/19/2018 at 3:12:42 PM

Hello Kim,

No you do not what's most important is that you know what your doing!

User Icon
Date/Time4/20/2018 at 12:04:09 PM

Hi Kim, you are not required 2 have permits just to change bathtub and taps and tile out as long as locations are staying the same. You're helping a friend so your friend could pull any permits if necessary only. Good luck Jeff

User Icon
Sachelle from DNS Mechanical in Calgary
Date/Time4/20/2018 at 12:08:37 PM

Hi Kim,

As you are not altering any of the plumbing lines you will not need a permit. You do not need a permit on existing fixture installs. As a fellow tradesperson, I strongly recommend using a RSE plumber or a licensed plumber in Ontario to do the plumbing for the fixtures. As this is for family I can't see any issues with you working out there.

User Icon
Date/Time4/21/2018 at 10:23:04 AM

No You do not have to. Just do it right and that all what you need.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors