Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Lein Act

Plumbing work was performed on our house/bathroom renovation. It was implied we would be having top of the line fixtures installed. New tub taps toilet ptraps shut off valves etc. Work was completed as desc...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post August 8, 2015
Painting per room

What is the average cost to have an apartment painted? Two rooms, averaging 10x10 each and one larger at 16x10. Two coats of paint, including the baseboards and window trim plus ceilings? ...

Number of Responses 18 Date of Last Post March 2, 2016
Bathroom Vents

The previous owner of my house ran both vents through the attic in wire flex pipe into a Y and out one roof exhaust. I've heard that it can and cannot/shouldnt be done. I have to redo them as nothin...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 15, 2012
Painting basement concrete floor

In the instructions for painting my basement floor, it states that the concrete needs to be etched. What is etching and what type of tool do I use to do it? I plan on using a latex paint. Is the ph...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 22, 2015
Insurance Billing

Hi, I quote a job for a lady this morning and she told me that her insurance will be paying for the job. Does anyone knows how to bill an insurance company for the work?...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post December 22, 2012
Starting a roofing business

Hi guys, A friend and myself are looking at starting a roofing business. We have a combined expierence of over five years and would like to know what it would take to start up a company and if there'...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 14, 2012
Best flooring option for the basement

The more I have been reading about flooring options for our basement (which is being finished) the more confused I feel. Would really appreciate feedback on which way to go. Mostly I've been enco...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post December 15, 2012
Curbless Shower

I am looking at options for my ensuite bathroom in terms of a new shower. My wife would love a curbless shower. Anyone familiar with the plumbing code in Ontario (specifically Ottawa) that could help ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post January 19, 2013
Refinishing Gumwood Baseboards

I believe I have gumwood base boards and door casings etc. but it was stained dark. What's the best way to refinish it (scratches, dents, etc) since it has no grain?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 13, 2012
Reno Contractor

Where can I go to find out if a reno contractor is licensed? Is this license more than just as a business license that anyone can purchase?...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post December 13, 2012
Footings for patio deck - concrete block or concrete tube forms, height of deck and codes

Hi, We have a new patio deck, about 7 feet off the groud, 10x10....the posts were put into concrete patio deck blocks...we have found the patio is now shfting and wobbly. I'm wondering wh...

Number of Responses 30 Date of Last Post May 1, 2016
Aluminun Awning

How much will it cost to replace my existing awning - size : 10 feet width x 5 feet projection....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 10, 2012
Basement Renovation Vs. Second Floor Top Up

Hello, I am the owner of a ~1940 Toronto bungalow which I purchased 3 Years ago. As a growing family, we would likely add a second floor addition sometime in the future (~10 Years), how...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post April 12, 2013
New maple hardwood stair finishing

Recently had hardwood floor and stair treads installed in my home by one of your "HandyCanadian.com" contractors. We got the stain from the manufacturer of the flooring company in an effort to match it...

Number of Responses 19 Date of Last Post December 10, 2012
Drywall Installation Cost

What is the average cost to install drywall, tape and mud and sand (not including drywall)?...

Number of Responses 20 Date of Last Post April 23, 2018
Ceiling fan switch

I just purchased a house which has a ceiling fan in the main entrance hall. The fan has lights and operates on a 2 wire wall switch. Problem is... i cant figure out how to turn the fan on. It seems to be a...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post January 17, 2013
Flooring in cottage

We are renovating our seasonal cottage. What type of flooring is recommended for a cottage that temperatures get to -40 and durable? It has to be flooring that my husband can do himself so our options a...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post December 12, 2012
Installing indoor hallway style post, handrail and spindles...

This is something I've never done, thus the questions! I'd like to either hire someone to do this perhaps, although I could do it myself, although 'finishing' isn't my best a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 6, 2012
Wind facing rooms are colder than other rooms

The bedrooms at the front of my house are always colder than any other room in the house. The rooms face north west and are on the 2nd floor of the house. I have asked my neighbors and they say that they hav...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post December 6, 2012
Removing a radiator?

Hi, Could someone tell me if this is the correct way on how to remove a radiator? http://jasminrace.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-remove-a-radiator Thanks in advance...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 2, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x