Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Concrete walkway replacement

Hi, I would like to know how much would it cost to have a concrete walkway redone. There is a metal fire escape staircase above it and one of the support beams has caused some of the concrete to crack a...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 13, 2012
Replaceing Beam in basement

I would like to replace a wooden beam in my basement and the steel pole that holds it in up. I want to put a steel I beam in its place. The span is 20 feet and I have 2 rooms above it, one is a office and t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 12, 2012
Crawl Space

Most of the floor of the crawl space under my home is dirt floor. What, if anything, should be done to a dirt floor crawl space to better insulate/protect my house?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post November 13, 2012
Popcorn ceiling

What can be done with popcorn ceiling and how expensive is it?...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post July 23, 2019
What is the best drainage piping system for a house?

I am writing an analytical/recommendation report for school (college). My report is titled "Analysis to determine the best drain/waste/vent piping system" (residential use only&#...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 11, 2012
Replace staircase railings

I currently have white metal railings and want to replace them with oak. I have carpeted stairs and will eventually tear them out and replace with hardwood but I want to know the cost to replace the railings on...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 9, 2012
Legal Questions?

I'm not sure whether you can answer this but I thought I'd ask anyway. We have just had our bathroom re-done by a local plumber. He was someone who had done a small plumbing job for us so we knew him...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post November 9, 2012
Which insulation is best?

I am trying to write a report for school on which insulation is best to use in the walls of your new home. I am pretending that it is 30X40 and that we are only insulating the exterior walls, so that would ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 8, 2012
New duct work, boiler and AC

Can I install new duct work from scratch, boiler and AC in an old bungalow? Currently uses baseboard heaters and has no duct work. If yes is this something expensive to do?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 5, 2012
School Report

I am trying to write a report for school on which insulation is best to use in the walls of your new home. I am pretending that it is 30X40 and that we are only insulating the exterior walls, so that would ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 5, 2012
How to become a contractor in Ottawa, ON

I have been interested in starting my own business for a while now. However I am having troubles finding information on how to get a Contractor License and what are the requirements I will need to start my busi...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 4, 2012
Water coming in through deck bolts

During a heavy rain our ceiling started to leak along the the support beams and began to pool on the floor in one spot. The source of the leak coincided with where the bolts from the deck outside lined up with ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 4, 2012
Basement appartment in Laval

Do they require a escape window or a full second door by code? What is the cost difference between a new larger window and full bylow grade door?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 5, 2012
Excessive condensation on Windows throughout winter

Looking for suggestions on how to resolve this issue. We have been in the home for seven years and it's been an issue since day one. As soon as it gets a little cold, we have condensation build up on ...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post September 20, 2017
I would like to build a downhill lane with smooth surface and minimum costs price range and diffrences would be apreciated.

I am looking to build a big hill down in guelph. It would already be on a existant hill and I want a smooth surface. It would be about 730 feet long by about 25 feet wide. I do not know much about paving an...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 1, 2012
Is It Too Late to Caulk this Fall?

You painted the exterior of the main floor of my house. You told me that I needed to have caulking done before winter set in. It set in sooner than expected. Is it too late to get that done? ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 2, 2012
Granite Countertop

We paid a deposit to the kitchen fabricators for a complete kitchen reno. The third day we told them that we don't like the quartz countertop that we picked so they sent us to the suppliers where they buy c...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 3, 2012
Base board or plywood

We are getting new cabinets in our kitchen and we are getting granite counetrtop from somewhere else. Wanted to know who provides for the base board on top of the cabinet for support for the granite countert...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 31, 2012
Black mould

My daughter bought a house which has been leaking in the downstairs bedroom for quite some time. The drywall above the sliding glass doors in the bedroom, is totally black and spongy. The roof, soffit...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post November 1, 2012
What is usually the cause of a leak around a bathroom vent?

We have a leak around our bathroom vent, not everytime it rains, but frequently enough to be of concern. We have had the roof replaced about 12 years ago with a reputable company. Where should we s...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 1, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x