Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Replace Roof on Old Log Home

The roof on the log home has little or no insulation. I'm thinking new insulation between trusses right on the plaster and lath, new plywood and then tin. Should I put a vapor barrier between the la...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 20, 2013
Bathroom Venting

I'm looking to vent a basement bathroom and wondering if there is a restriction as to how close to a window I can run the duct to the outside. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, John...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 17, 2013
My second floor in the house is not flat. Seeking a solution to level the floor

It is a more than 30 years old house. There was carpet on the second floor when we bought the house. We noticed the issue only when we installed laminate floors 6 years ago. The contractor used cement to r...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 15, 2013
How good is electric in floor heating system?

Heard about it. Just wondering if it has any requirement on the hardwood flooring. Is it easy to install and maintain? Will it consume lot of electric energy? Will it make the room too dry? ...

Number of Responses 24 Date of Last Post April 29, 2016
Basement Renovation - Managing the Project

Is it better to hire a contractor to handle all the aspects of building the basement or do that myself and hire individual trades to do each part i.e. framing/drywall, electrician, plumber, pain...

Number of Responses 30 Date of Last Post January 16, 2013
Basement renovation - support running length of house and three support poles

The support is only 5'7". Once framing for new rooms, could this be removed for higher ceiling in center of basement?...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post January 13, 2013
Building Code For Renovating Basement With Bedrooms?

We are looking into renovating our basement. There is currently no windows, only french doors to the outside. To put bedrooms downstairs do you need windows or do you only need 2 exits out of a room?...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post August 27, 2018
Vapor Barrier Under a New Concrete Basement Floor

I'm in the process of removing the existing basement floor in my house along with the rock and dirt underneath, down to the undisturbed soil. Then put in the proper amount of crushed stone but have a q...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 29, 2013
The cost 2 install windows and doors

I was wondering what the cost would be to install 16 windows and 2 doors. The windows would have to be re framed and the out side french doors would have to be framed as well....

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 8, 2013
Toilet placement

What is the Ontario Building Code minimum clearance requirement between toilet (center line) and wall or cabinet in a private residence? I have done some research but cannot find the specificati...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post January 11, 2013
Furnace Not Coming Back On

My furnace won't come back on after it has reached the programmed temperature. I have to shut off the power to it, then it will reset itself, come back on, reach the programmed temperature and d...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 6, 2013
Plumbing Upgrade

We recently moved into our new (to us) home that is approximately 22 years old. Among the many upgrades we'd like to do is upgrade the plumbing. Currently when any water source is being used in ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 4, 2013
Staircase

I have had to remove the carpeting on my staircase inside my home due to the my cats ruining it and want to know what I could have done other than carpeting as the staircase is presently bare with the original ...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post January 4, 2013
What do I do when my water pump won't shut off?

I noticed my water pump running when there was no water being used so I shut it off by the breaker for a few seconds then back on and it shut off. But now that doesn't work so what can I do?...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post July 21, 2021
Cracked Walls & Slanted Floors

I have a 1 1/2 storey house built in 1920's, with an older addition. No basement, only a crawl space. There are cracks in lots of the walls in the house, and the window frames are splitt...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post December 30, 2012
Looking for 32" flat bi-fold doors

Does anyone know where I can buy two FLAT 32" bifold doors that are on the shelf? I.e. not a special order. Everywhere I look they have to be ordered. I'm in Burlington Ontario. Thanks ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 31, 2012
Heating System Costs

Is there a list available that shows the costs in order of expense for heating your home? ie. Wood (if wood lot owned), Natural Gas, Propane, etc. Showing which types of heating ar...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 30, 2012
How do I attach a shower rod, grab bar, and towel racks in a newly tiled bathroom?

I have lovely subway tile to drill through. I was told we must drill through the grout. Is this right?...

Number of Responses 22 Date of Last Post June 25, 2022
Labor cost Installing T-Bar ceiling in Commercial buildings

What is the standard cost per square foot to install T-Bar ceiling in commercial buildings?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 2, 2016
Hot Water Tank

For last couple of weeks I had an issue with hot water. The water was not heating up even though I had the water tank heat settings to maximum heating. I called someone who mentioned that mixing valve is the...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post January 8, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x