Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Foundation

How much would it cost to lift a 38x28 bunglow and pour a 4' foundation under it? Walls, footing and floor?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 30, 2012
Backflow Valve

I had a basement sewer flood 3 years ago. Insurance covered the cleanup etc. I am with a new insurance company and they require that there is a backflow valve installed. How would I know if the initial insu...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 5, 2012
Timelines

We need to get a bathroom redone but seeing that it is our only bathroom what kind of timline could we expect? We live in a semi-detached home and the bathroom is on our top floor we will need to get a n...

Number of Responses 22 Date of Last Post December 5, 2012
Bathroom renovation

What is the best value to a bathroom renovation? My bathroom is 6 feet by four feet. Toilet, tub and sink room has a slanted ceiling, leeking tub drain and galvanized pipe. Help this is th...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post December 6, 2012
Levelling a 40 year old bungalows main floor?

We just moved into a 40 year old house. We started to do some minor renovations but we quickly noticed that the main floor was slightly un-level. From west to east it drops about an inch from the foundation wal...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post December 5, 2012
Re-Insulation: Interior or Exterior?

We just moved into a 40 year old house. We started to do some minor renovations and when we began to move some stuff into the reno'd rooms, we noticed that one of our quilts was frozen to the exterior w...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 29, 2012
Cost of wiring a home in Fort McMurray

How much does it cost to wire a home in Fort McMurray? Labour and material?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 23, 2012
Seasonal Renovations

My wife and I are considering a kitchen renovation after the holidays. This is something we've been planning for a long time and are finally ready to get things started however we're concerned about our...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post November 29, 2012
Soundproofing

I want to soundproof between the lower suite and the upper suite. The lower suite is a normal 8ft height and the floor joists between the floors are a regular 10 inch joist. What is the best method of sou...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post August 7, 2015
Hardwood over shiplap planking

Is it advisable to lay new 2 inch wide @ 3/4 inch thick hardwood flooring directly over shiplap planking, the planking is 50 to 60 years old. The shiplap is laying at a 45 degree angle on the joists...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 19, 2012
Sprayfoam 1 1/2 storey home.

I am having poly spray in insullation done in the upper attic/second storey because I am having two bedrooms built up there. Should I allow the sprayfoam to be sprayed right to the roof sheathing or doe...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post May 13, 2016
How to divert rainwater underground towards road

How do I build an underground pipe run to take roof rain water from downspout to the road? I have seen them around but will it not freeze in the winter and be ineffective?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 15, 2012
Cedar T&G 1x6 siding, soffit and rainscreen.

We would like to know what is the cost range per SF to have some good quality 1x6 T&G cedar sidings installed with rainscreen and cedar soffit. Thank you...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 15, 2012
Back up problems in bathroom

I own a motel (bought a year ago) and have a buildling with 4 rooms. When a guest flushes the toilet water comes up in the tub. I tried to put a 25 auger down the drains it didnt help. Then I looked for...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 14, 2012
Sound Solution

Hello, I bought a newly built house a month ago, I have wood floors in the upstairs hall, they sqeek and wonder what to do. I also have the same problem in the bedrooms so had the carpet taken ou...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 14, 2012
Frame overtop of rolled batt insulation?

My unfinished basement insulation is the rolled batt style that only extends about halfway down the walls secured with vapor barrier plastic (typical basic builder style). Temperature and moisture ...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post December 5, 2020
How to properly patch holes in a Stucco ceiling?

Hi, I will be making some holes in my cieling to properly install and wire new lights. The ceiling is all stucco and I am curious how to properly patch it up to look like before. Ill be making a fe...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 13, 2012
Air Bubbles in Drywall Compound

How do I reduce or stop the amount of air bubbles in drywall mud after mixing? I think mixing the ready-made pails is great but it seems to trap a lot of air. Anything to reduce this from occurring. M...

Number of Responses 23 Date of Last Post April 26, 2016
Coach House or In-Law Suite

We're looking into buying a house in the city of Hamilton and are wondering if there are any restrictions on converting a large garage set well in the back yard into a separate, rentable unit. I guess i...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 13, 2012
Sewer smell in basement - why??

We did a bathroom update approx 8 years ago, where the plumber changed the toliet line to main out line... recently we have had a sewer smell that overtakes the basement. (What can we do ? And is th...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 4, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x