Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Using bondo to fix wood, and repainting over

Hi, I was told on the holmes on homes forum that I could use bondo to fill in wood spots that had some minor rot I picked out, instead of using wood filler. Has anyone had success with this? Any...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 4, 2013
Insulation

I was wondering if it was worth reinsulating our 30 year old house? Is it worth the cost and would you really reap any benifits of the cost to do this?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 4, 2013
Tearing Out and Replacing a Section of Hardwood

We have maple hardwood throughout our main floor that is clear coated. The level of colour change varies throughout the main floor whether in front of windows or the patio door or in our U shaped kitchen. We ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 2, 2013
Patching a Knockdown or California Ceiling

We are planning on taking the bulkhead down in our kitchen above the cabinets. The entire ceiling on the main floor is the knockdown texture, unpainted. Is it possible to do patchwork over the sink and...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 2, 2013
Excel Spreadsheet with Cost Codes

Im a remodeller in the process of re-creating my excel cost database files. Looking for a new master cost database Template for excel, trying to configure it as a master, custom or (Home builder f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 2, 2013
Shower Fan

Can a fan go in a shower?...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post February 1, 2013
Electrical data collection - Fluke VR1710

Does any other electrical contractor have electrical data collectors that they have used and can give experiences with? Single phase, 120 volt power recorder mainly to measure fluctuations around 80...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 31, 2013
Main Reason To Renovate a Basement

To Homeowners - What is the main reason why you would renovate your basement? To Contractors... what is the main reason your customers want to renovate their basement space? Please share your answ...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 3, 2013
Fears/Concerns On Basement Renovation Projects

What would be the top 3 fears/concerns of homeowners who are interested in renovating their basement?...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post February 23, 2013
Bathroom Window

Can a window be put in a shower?...

Number of Responses 19 Date of Last Post January 29, 2013
Fireplace Reno

We have taken out existing fireplace heatilator and brick face and all we have left is the chimney brick. We now are trying to figure out how we insulate the cavity before we put in a zero clearance fireplace. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 7, 2013
Wiring two switches to one circuit

We are doing the rough in for our basement reno. We plan to have it ESA inspected. I am just wondering if we can get some advice on the best way to wire two independent dimmers to one circuit breaker. One switc...

Number of Responses 19 Date of Last Post January 28, 2013
Adding a Separate Entrance to an existing house?

I am looking for a contractor who could give me a idea of cost for adding a separate entrance to the basement of a bungalow. I lack the experience in this area of expertise. I am in the city of Barrie. Here...

Number of Responses 81 Date of Last Post August 29, 2018
Do it yourself Electricity?

So, in our basement reno..my husband is wiring some new outlets and adding some wall sconces. He is running the wire and doing the work at the outlets, but, we plan to have someone else wire to our ...

Number of Responses 21 Date of Last Post January 31, 2017
Tile Flooring

Trying to figure out what I need for my bathroom floor. I have ripped everything out down to the floor that sits on the joists. This floor is 5/8" OSB. I want to put in a 40" x 40" curbles...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 22, 2013
Basement Framing and waterproofing

We are finishing our basement after a flood. Originally planned to just reinstall panelling...however, have switched gears and are going to do drywall. We have already painted exterior walls with waterproof...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post January 22, 2013
Cost of replacing load bearing walls with drop beams

What is the approx material and labor cost for installing 22' steel beam in the basement incl posts? I also plan to replace some load bearing walls upstairs with LVLs of 17' and 14' length. ...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post May 2, 2018
Knowing that home renovations are allowed before purchasing property

Hi there, I was curious if there is a way to know that I could be granted a permit before I buy a property. Is this possible? The only way I would buy a property is to know I will be able to reno...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post January 21, 2013
Fire Separation

I need a reminder, finishing a basement in a town home with units on each side. Their is block foundation, fiber glass insulation and vapor barrier. My client has framed up a wall away from this existin...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 19, 2013
How do I remove a counter top from a vanity that was adhered with construction adhesive?!

The new counter top has 3 cracks and we didn't know as the plastic was still on to keep it unmarked (ya, great). Is there an epoxy to fill it nicely, or must we get it off for an attempt...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 17, 2013
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x