Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Need direction in basement renovation

I have just purchased a 50ish year old house with 50% finished basement. I would like to renovate the basement in phases (if possible) for budgeting purposes. Could anyone suggest the course of acti...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 25, 2012
Garage Renovations

I want to to increase the size of a residential garage in Scarborough Ontario. Are there any restrictions on doing so? Or can I demolish the old garage and build a bigger one?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 25, 2012
Flat Stone Wall Price?? Help :D

Hey I have this client who would like the front of his house to have flat stone put on it. I would like to know how much I should charge him per sq ft. There is about 350 sq ft. I know that some stone costs...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 13, 2012
How to design a covered deck / sun room

I hate my old deck, and have started ripping it out. I like to make something that will last and can be used for more than just sitting on. I guess it is called a sun room, has a roof, has windows...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post August 8, 2012
Composite or fiberglass over pvc windows

Building an new house and not sure what to pick for windows. We are not looking to cheap out, but wondering if fiberglass or composite is worth the extra money over pvc. In the past we have heard nega...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post September 23, 2012
Insulating a Basement

I am about to frame and insulate my basement but I am unsure on how to proceed regarding vapor barrier. Spray foam is not something I am going to do and I am aware that the vapor barrier goes on between th...

Number of Responses 26 Date of Last Post August 7, 2015
Proper order of improvements

I plan to replace old aluminium sliding windows, replace or change swirly stucco, replace facia/evathroughs and need a new roof. I'm curious as to the best order to perform this work over th...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post June 24, 2012
Take down interior wall plus other small tasks - who to call?

I would like to take down an interior wall to join two bedrooms in a single floor house. There are heating ducts and electrical outlets in the wall. I would also like to get some other things done like changing...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 18, 2012
24x24garage build

My garage is really close to my property line so I have to build a garage with no overhangs on the two sides closest to my property line. Can anyone show me what a garage like this will look like?? A f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 15, 2012
Load Bearing Walls

What is the maximum allowable distance between load bearing walls and the outside walls?...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post August 12, 2015
Limestone Screening or Gravel as a Base Material To Make A Side Walk With 2'X2' Concrete pavers.

So I am making a side walk at my house on next weekend, I researched a bit and found out that I need to dig around 4" and then lay gravel and then on top put 2'x2' pavers. I decided to dig aroun...

Number of Responses 31 Date of Last Post May 12, 2016
Pushing out a exterior wall

We want to push out an exterior wall to gain just about 18 inches for a kitchen dining area. It would hold cabinets but the problem is the floor joists run with that wall not into it... can we still join this p...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post July 16, 2012
Mike Holmes, Bryan Baeumler or Jim Caruk?

Of the three most popular on air personalities - Mike Holmes, Bryan Baeumler or Jim Caruk, which one do you think best represents contractors, the construction and renovation industry and provides c...

Number of Responses 24 Date of Last Post November 4, 2015
Installation of Larger Basement Windows

A regular widow installation company cannot install new windows or doors for my basement. Who should I be consulting with to get this job done? I need estimates on complewting this job....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 8, 2012
Sunroom

I am considering adding a sunroom to my house. What is the difference between a 3 season and 4 season sunroom and Ontario? Is there a different building permit for Heated space? Is there code re...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 4, 2014
Extending my garage

I would like to extend the width of my garage by two to four feet....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 15, 2014
General Contractor for Home Improvement

My wife and I have recently purchased a three bedroom home (older home) in North Vancouver. We would like to work with a general contractor on our renovations (floors, bathroom, kitchen...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 11, 2012
Under Floor radiant Heat help

My new house I just purshased has radiant heat installed under the floor between the joist. The hydronic Radiant heat is fixed to these floor joists about 1 inch below the subfloor. It has just batt insulation...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 5, 2012
Possible Mold?

Hello, I live in a condo and I think the unit above me may have had a leak in their bathroom. The ceiling in my bathroom has bubbled out. It was wet and soft at one point, but has now dried up. Ho...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 10, 2012
Water proofing Trade

I want to know what are the requirements for establishing a water proofing trade, in order to start this career. Thanks and regards'...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 4, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x