Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Sound issues with recent basement reno

We recently had a basement suite built and hired a fairly well reviewed contractor. Not knowing enough before hand, I think we let a few things slip and now have issues. We can hear a fair amount of sou...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post September 23, 2012
legal requirements?

What kind of legal requirements are needed to start a home improvement business in orillia....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 1, 2012
How

How I will get my answers by email?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 2, 2012
How do I update outside of house?

We are buying a new house and it's very brown. What can we do to update the house?...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post June 13, 2012
Average sq' price of stamped concrete vs patio pavers

What is the average price for stamped concrete per sq ft in Niagara area vs decorative patio stones?...

Number of Responses 19 Date of Last Post June 14, 2016
Want to make a side walk and extend sitting area in backyard.

I would like to make a side walk going from front to backyard, I already have few 1.5' X 1.5' concrete slabs. I want to know how to do that in cheapest way possible? My neighbor did simila...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post June 2, 2012
Laminate

Thank you for your quick reply on installing laminate in an unheated cottage in winter. However someone has told me that laminate will buckle from the humidity when warming up and cooling down after it has...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 23, 2015
Laminate flooring

Is there a way to install laminate flooring in an unheated seasonal cottage? Temps could reach as low as -40....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 1, 2012
Small Projects

How do i find people that are interested in doing small projects like fixing the wooden trim that goes around the siding. Its dark brown and peeling and id like it fixed up and painted white. It seems if the jo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 28, 2012
Making a basement appartment

Hi There, Is there an honest and reliable contractor who has great ideas to beautify my basement. I live in a townhouse complex and our common driveway needs repaving/fixing. Anybody who can d...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2012
Updating boiler and electric hotwater tank system

I am interested in an all in one boiler and hot water system gas fired. We currently have an electric hot water tank for hot water and a gas boiler (superhot over 40 years old) for central heating via h...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 30, 2012
Foundation

Hi there, I was wondering if you can tell me if weeping tile is required in home foundation? And how can you tell if you have a weeping tile problem?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 31, 2012
Fencing around armour stone/on a hill

The area I want fenced is a terraced area, which means it has walls going up and walls going down on any given side, like a tread on stairs. I require a fence around this terrace to provide privacy and...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 22, 2012
Cost of wood porch

I was wondering how much a wood porch would cost. Currently have concrete stairs with concrete pad that half covers cold cellar. Can you cover over cold cellar with wood stairs? How much approximat...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 28, 2012
Wanting to know cost of Moving a doorway in home.

Hi. Our home is a Vancouver special and we have a room in our basement that you enter off the laundry room. We would rather the entrance to this room be the rec room beside it. This would involve closing of...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 29, 2012
General Cost of Basement Renovation

Storey and half house in Bluffs area - built around 1950. Goal: renovation of basment - insulate if needed, new floors, new drywall and ceiling - including laundry area and stair area. Approxima...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 24, 2012
How wide are french curbs?

How wide are french curbs?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 16, 2012
Can I use spray foam insulation in stone/rubble foundation, 100 year old house in Ontario climate?

I had my foundation dug up, waterproofed, drainage tiles and sump pump, new gutters and downspouts installed 2 years ago. There has been no leakage and everything is dry. The previous owner had some...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 16, 2012
Staining My Deck

Last summer I built a large deck in my backyard using pressure treated wood. This spring I would like to stain the wood however I'm not sure if I'm required to sand the wood first before applying the st...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 17, 2012
Aluminum Eavestrough

I need to have a two 44 foot lengths, two 12 foot lengths. The demensions need to be (it needs to be in the shape of a "C" channel.) 5 1/2"x4"x4". Can this be done seem...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 18, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x