Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Aluminum Eavestrough

I need to have a two 44 foot lengths, two 12 foot lengths. The demensions need to be (it needs to be in the shape of a "C" channel.) 5 1/2"x4"x4". Can this be done seem...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 18, 2012
Steel roofs - value to a home

We are considering a steel roof, however, I cannot find anything that confirms a steel roof will add value to our home. Do you know of a Canadian site that provides this information?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 13, 2012
How to find a contractor to raise a cottage

We have a cottage that was is sitting on the ground. The foundation due to moisture is starting to rot in places. We need to raise the cottage to repair the damage and build supports under it. How do I g...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 29, 2012
Stucco on side of house is cracked and chipping

Stucco on sides of our house is cracked and falling off in large chunks in several places. Also, we have cement from steps that have large chips and would like to fix it but arent sure how to do so. We...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 29, 2012
Basement Framing in Pickering, Ontario.

Can anyone give me a rough hourly rate and the time involved for framing 100 lineal feet of basement wall (7' high) with three basement window openings and three door openings? I only need t...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post August 9, 2015
Reno..devastatingly cold floors, heat loss

House is about 50 years old. 2400 sq feet. Cold floors are in second story general living space hard wood flooring and lineoleum. Second story rooms are over unheated areas in mostly finished basement some area...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 10, 2012
Pool Deck Post Saddles

We are building a pool deck; we have hired a contractor to install the sonotubes/concrete footings. The contractor quoted post saddles; I asked them about making sure the saddles are aligned properly. They ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 10, 2012
Multimedia Wiring Required For Basement Finishing Project

I am searching for a company, or individual in the Bradford, ON area that specializes in multimedia wiring, as required for home office, home theater, and utility areas of the basement envir...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 16, 2012
Blotchy concrete

Had a concrete driveway poured on Saturday and in the areas that they finished last they sprayed water and brought the (milk) to the top - now these areas are much lighter than the rest. How do I get...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 7, 2012
New Shingles

I have a sm home, maybe 1000 sq, if that. I just want to put on basic shingles. Do you know the cost would be around to get someone to do it for me?...

Spot lights on a drop ceiling

Hello, I am looking to install some spotlights to high light our company sign. The ceiling is the dropceiling with standard flourencant lights. I dont know if this ceiling is capable of taking the w...

Railing Height For Interior Stair and Balcony

What is the code for the height of a railing/guard for interior stairs and 2nd floor balcony in Guelph ON?...

Number of Responses 68 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
Painting precast stone sills around exterior window and door frames...

Hi there... my wife and I are building a house and are looking at using either precast or limestone around exterior window and door frames. The cost for limestone is 3 times more expensive than precast. My ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 8, 2012
Cottage Foundation or piers?

Were in the process of deciding to buy a lakefront fixer upper cottage or lakefront land. The fixer upper will actually be teared down and replaced with a prefab. I would like to know if its worth putting...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 8, 2012
Multimedia Wiring

I would like to touch base with individuals working in this field in the Bradford, Ontario area for further discussion, as I am presently planning a basement finishing project. Wiring will be one of...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 1, 2012
Addition

We live in a bungalow, and would like to build an addition where the garage is located. We would remove the garage and want to place the addition onto the existing foundation from the garage. There wo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 1, 2012
Interior Office Lighting

What type of lighting systems are currently being most recommended for the office environment? Example - Halogen vs. LED potlights...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 30, 2012
What is the average price to have original wooden strip flooring sanded and redone?

My son just purchased a home in Orangeville and the floors need to be sanded and redone. Before he goes out and attempts to do it himself I thought I would see what it costs to have a professional do it. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 1, 2012
Need to install a Basement egree windows

My house was built in 1978. Need to install an egress window in the basement for a bedroom. No idea on cost or who can do this type of work. Can I do some of it to lessen the price as I can do some basic...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 30, 2012
Turning a sunroom into a full season room

I am currently sailing in the Arabian Sea with the HMCS Charlettetown. I will be here longer than originally expected and when I return will be turning a Summer type sunroom into an addition to my home. The...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 29, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x