Using wallpaper wall covering is a concept that has been around since first utilized in China over 200 years B.C. And who can forget the timeless charm of parlor walls clad with cottage rose designs; landscape or the horse and carriage scenes so popular during the Victorian era?
Wallpaper as a wall covering is as vogue today as it was a100 years ago. A timeless option that has evolved into new innovative ideas. With a wide variety of styles, materials, and designs from which to select.
Today's Wall Coverings - Countless Styles and Innovative Materials
Today, wallpaper and coverings made from other materials - such as vinyl wall covering, bamboo wall covering, fabric wall covering, wood wall covering, textured wall covering, and even leather wall covering are available. Popular options with vogue interior decor in mind.
An interior wall lavishly adorned with a stunning wallpaper mural, or even fabric wallpaper can give a room that flamboyant flair. Even infinite styles of wall covering borders are available to accent any wall covering style; whether muted and understated, or brash and bold.
Along with the innovations and limitless choices in wall covering material or style, comes the possibility of a wallpaper problem of some type after installation.
One of the most common problem is seams that open up or curl. This can be caused by one of several mistakes when installing:
- Not enough wallpaper paste on the edges when seaming.
- â€œOver rollingâ€ the seam edges, forcing paste from behind wallpaper.
- Taking too much time aligning the seams; allowing paste to dry along the edges.
Special adhesives are available for gluing down open seams without re-papering the whole wall. An effective and quick solution.
Another problem is curling and loose ends, caused by:
- Inadequate preparation of the wall surface. Such as not sealing the surface, or not applying sizing. While in many cases wallpaper removal in not necessary, surface preparation is a must.
- Too high a room temperature during installation; causing paste to dry too quickly.
- Insufficient paste, or the wrong type paste, used during application.
If the problem exists just on the ends and seams, using the special adhesive can solve the problem without re-papering the whole wall.
Some other problems include:
- Tears when being trimmed - usually caused by using a dull blade. Change utility knife blades frequently.
- Streaks on the surface after application - usually caused by excess paste, which should be wiped away with a damp cloth each time a new section of wallpaper is hung. In some cases a special solution may be necessary for removing wallpaper paste.
- Shading variations - some types of wallpaper or wall covering can vary from roll to roll, causing a noticeable contrast when butted together. Alternating strips for a consistent appearance or sorting and matching rolls to lessen contrast can help. Some types of wall covering can be affected by not using a non-staining adhesive or by improper rolling techniques.
- Gaps between pieces - can be caused by improper surface preparation, or incorrect butting and seaming.
- Wallpaper bubble or blister - caused by improper smoothing, or hanging in low temperature (below 50°F). Improper surface preparation or improper booking can be other culprits. This type problem can sometimes be solved by pricking and smoothing. Or on a larger area, slitting and applying more paste.
Sometimes during surface preparation, old deteriorating wallpaper must be removed in order to obtain a suitable surface for new wallpaper. Many homeowners, after trying to scrape off old wallpaper, are left wondering how to remove it more quickly and efficiently. Using a wallpaper steamer is the best, most efficient method; they can be found in most rental stores.
Consider Hiring a Wall Covering Professional
Hanging wallpaper or other wall covering can be a very involved task. One requiring much attention to proper procedure and detail for project success. Many homeowners opt to hire a wall covering contractor for the project. A reliable professional can get the job done accurately, and quickly; without the hassle of trial and error.
To find a wallpaper contractor for an wall covering project, or just about any Canada wallpapering job, many homeowners are turning to TrustedPros.ca.
Homeowners sign up absolutely free, with no obligation. They post their project online using free, easy-to-use tools; and then sit back and wait. Reliable local contractors view project postings and provide competitive bids within days, even hours after posting.
What could be a simpler or easier way to find the right contractor for your wallpaper or wall covering project?Posted by: TrustedPros