Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What's the going sqf rate for bat/poly insulation?

Would like to know what the rates are for insulation - bats+poly. And extra charge for extra work....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 15, 2014
Heating and air conditioning replacement recommendations?

My heating and air conditioning is 14 years old and have been working without problems. Both Lennox Elite series furnace 75000 btu 92% eff, air 2 1/2 ton seer 13. Detached corner home with lots of w...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 14, 2014
Was I price gouged for AC part?

Recently replaced a power condenser contactor switch #68J3601 for Lennox AC. Common part for Armstrong, Ducane and was charged $267.00 for part + service call $300, total. Google search r...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 26, 2014
What are my options for foundation?

The foundation on my old bungalow is totally shot and has to go, but the house is pretty solid. I am wondering: a) what are my options? b) is it possible to replace the basement using...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 14, 2014
How to make water temp alarm sender?

Want to make a wet exhaust temp sender on a diesel engine which can be attached to the overheating alarm. Am told a Therm-o-disc style 7135 water heater thermostat can be attached to the the hose & used in a 12...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 13, 2014
Information for replacing a wooden i-beam with a metal one?

We are thinking about purchasing a house in Hamilton and our biggest concern before we put in an offer is that the house has a slight slop. While in the basement you can see that the previous owners have replac...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 12, 2014
How to check for water damage and repair it after squirrels eat holes in siding?

Where can I buy 8 inch siding or other suggestions on what I can use as alternatives....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 11, 2014
Can I have suggestions on air conditioning in my home?

My home is 2000 sq. ft., story and 1/2, cathedral ceiling in living room and dining room. Forced air on main floor. Baseboard heat upstairs. I have two ceiling fans in the living room and dining ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 10, 2014
What is the cost to demolish and remove 1450 sq ft home?

Approx. how much would it cost to remove a 100 year old 1450sq ft 2 storey double brick home from lot and have lot ready for new build?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 8, 2014
Do I need a city permit to relocate staircase?

I am relocating my staircase. Do I need a city permit? Do I need to consult a structural engineer? How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 10, 2014
What is the proper way to install vinyl plank on top of ceramic floor?

We recently had vinyl plank (floating, click together) installed over top of our ceramic floor (approx 1000 sq. feet). The flooring store had someone come out and measure and quote on produ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 4, 2014
Labour only - how much would it cost to build a 10' x 17' deck?

This would be going underneath a roof overhang from house. 2 posts would be needed for support. Material would be pressure treated pine. No railing needed....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 4, 2014
What is the cost for bathroom renovation?

How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 2, 2014
What is required when inserting a new door in a concrete basement structural wall?

I recently hired a company to build a walk out from my basement. The company I hired is advertised as a structural engineering company-so I assumed they would be experts and I left it in their hands. The wal...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 3, 2014
Is contractor required to provide detailed invoicing once the job is completed?

I hired a contractor to build a deck. He quoted a certain price and the project proceeded. The project scope changed as things proceeded (reduced the size of deck), however overall the project was c...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 2, 2023
Where can I buy sheets of perforated steel with a decorative pattern?

I need to make some cabinets to conceal cast iron radiators. I'm in the Burlington, Ontario area....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 26, 2014
What is the cost to have laminate flooring installed?

Would like to have 1000 square feet of laminate installed in a condo. How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 25, 2014
Can I fire a contractor who has not completed porch renovation?

I hired a contractor to rod iron my porch as my neighbour ran into to it with her truck. The insurance company recommended him. I gave him a deposit of 1000.00 dollars in Feb 2014. It is now end of June 2014 an...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 24, 2014
How should the design be of a concrete bearing wall?

I'm trying to design a concrete bearing wall which supports slab and another beam member (i.e. point load for wall). How should the design carry out? How the effect of point load from beam ca...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 10, 2014
If the length of the flooring is very long, should a transition strip be installed somewhat mid way?

Flooring installed in a continuous length. If the length of the flooring is very long, i.e. the full length of a mini home 74 ft., should a transition strip be installed somewhat mid way, to break ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 23, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x