Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Do mobile homes use a different furnace than a house?

Is there a difference between a furnace for a mobile home, compared to a furnace for a house?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 14, 2014
Removed old carpet and floor is heaving in line with stairway, what are my options?

Hello, I'm currently renovating the main floor on my older home (built in the 70s) and the next step is tiling everything. As I was ripping out some older carpet I noticed the floor was heavi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 11, 2014
Should I install backsplash or range hood first?

I am installing new backsplash as well as range hood. I am thinking I should install the range hood first and then the backsplash, unless the backsplash should go all the way up under the cupboards behind ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 17, 2014
What ways can a garage foundation be made?

We need to put in a new foundation and footings in order to build a new garage. The size is 16' x 22'. We have been told that we can do a cinder block foundation without the need for footings because th...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 7, 2014
Do I need to put in a steel beam, or can it just be opened up?

Looking to open up this portion in the basement. Can anyone give me their opinion in regards to the picture I posted - whether one would need to put a steel beam/laminated beam into this section or could it...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 6, 2014
How much to build a 18' x 12' deck?

How much would a deck like this cost? Size is 18' x 12'....

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post May 4, 2016
Do I need to resize the basement window for a bedroom?

Does the window need to be a fire escape? It is 20" X 30"....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 1, 2014
Will click vinyl flooring contract and expand in 3 season cottage?

Help! I have purchased Click Vinyl Flooring to be placed in my three season cottage, however I contacted the manufacturer and he advised me that due to the cold and heat, it will contract and expan...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 2, 2018
What is the cost to replace fireplace?

How much would something like this cost? It would replace a standard brick wood-burning fireplace with mantel. Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 2, 2014
How much to finish a basement?

Finishing a basement - three bedrooms, bathroom and sitting room. How much would something like this cost? Thanks!...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 6, 2023
Would a 3250 generator run a 115 thousand BTU's hot air furnace?

Wanted to know the size of the generator that I would need to run my home furnace. If the power were to go, I can get a new 3250 generator, very cheep. All electrial hookups will be done by the right pe...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 30, 2014
What can be done to reduce extreme heat in the attic?

Please advise whether there is something that can be done to reduce the heat during Summer. I have two rooms there. Also, I would like to find out how much it would cost, approximately. Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 30, 2014
Do I need half newels against the finished wall, or can I attach the rail directly to the wall?

I have two finished walls (pine) that I want to attach a hand rail to. Understanding the height is by code 42. I have 3 openings of 48" on landing / loft looking down over a family room. I ne...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 20, 2014
Moisture and ice on top of concrete walls?

I left a one inch space between the the R21 Roxul insulation and the concrete wall and found that ice buids up on the top of concrete wall. Full height insulated wall and very well sealed with 6 mill poly. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 20, 2014
How much to finish a 450 sq foot basement?

Looking to finish our basement. It's a brand new duplex and just wondering at how much it would cost....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 16, 2014
Can I bolt pergola posts directly onto deck frame?

I'd like to build a pergola on top of my deck. The deck is about 12'x13', plus an additional 4'x8' under an awning. The deck is accessible from our rear patio door and is, I'm ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 15, 2014
Why would the interior wall in my home bubble and flake?

This is just a very small area and only the surface paint seems to have cracked. There was no evidence of water in the area. The exterior wall is brick and does have some areas where the mortar is missing betwe...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 9, 2014
What would the approximate cost be for installing porcelain tiles?

It's about 450 square feet....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 3, 2014
Before I mount the panel on the plywood, do I need a sheet of 5/8 fire board behind the plywood?

Fire separation. I am upgrading a panel located in the garage of a home. The panel is on a wall connected to the home. Before I mount the panel on the plywood, do I need a sheet of 5/8 fire boa...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 12, 2014
How do I fix cracked beam?

I have a beam that runs across the span of my 21ft house. 18.9 ft into the 28.9 full length of my house. This beam lays flat and has a crack between the two current jack posts. How do I fix it? This beam...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 9, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x