Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What do you think we should do other than clean up mold?

We have been finding mould everywhere, and also one of our walls is 'mushy'. What do you think we should do other than clean up mold?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 22, 2017
Contractor seeking good accountant

Does anyone know a good accountant that has lots of experience working with contractors (small business) in Toronto?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 22, 2017
Electrical panel low headroom

We bought our home in Burlington last summer and we did in fact have a home inspector go through it. We are not looking at having some electrical work done such as adding lights in rooms with only switched plug...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 21, 2017
Porcelain tile work

I would like an estimate to enstall large porcelain tiles on the wall behind my wall mounted TV and Fireplace. The tiles are probably 12"x24".And the area about 8'x10'. Only looking for estim...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 19, 2017
Cost for a two-storey entrance addition

We live in a 1500 sq ft Cape Cod style home in Ottawa South and would like to add an office on the second floor by lifting the roof between the two existing dormers (access to the room would be from the Mat...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 19, 2017
Rough cost estimate for semi-detached reno in Toronto?

We are considering placing an offer on a semi-detached 1200 sq.ft home in downtown Toronto. The home is structurally sound and well-maintained but needs cosmetic updates. In order to determine our offer price w...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 21, 2017
Natural stone steps on flat ground approaching front entrance

I currently have an older small deck with two steps as my front entrance into my home. (The deck isn't fastened to the house, but only into the ground with four 6x6 posts. I'd like to replace...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 18, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 21, 2017
640 sqft mud & tape estimate

Hi everyone, Just wondering how much (roughly) it would be to mud & tape 640 sqft shed? I'm on vancouver island. Thanks...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post February 26, 2017
3 season sunroom

Location is in Ottawa. I am considering a 3 season addition measuring about 155 sq ft. This would replace a deck that joins my garage and dining room, which are adjacent at 90 degrees. The intention is to t...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 16, 2017
Drywall damage

Hi there experts, I had drywall delivered and when they offloaded it, they drug the drywall across the floor and it created actual gouges in the older stick type vinyl tile (along with damaging ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 17, 2017
Drywall repair?

We had a foundation crack filled last week, and we need to make good the drywall that was removed. We need insulation installed, the framing replaced (the 3 closest metal studs had to be cut to all...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 17, 2017
Drywall

I have a older home, 1920's and little has been done. Until recently, the upstairs was closed off, and realized the old plaster and lathe is crumbling. Can you just drywall over it? I was...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 1, 2017
Adding finish to just installed hardwood floor

Hi, I will really appreciate if you could share your expert advise. We have just got our hardwood floor installed. When I selected the sample, it had some shine but after its installation it's g...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 16, 2017
Drop ceiling labor cost

Just wondering what to charge for a drop ceiling in commercial building. Building is 2000 Sq ft. 12' high ceiling, 2×4 tiles. How much is the cost per Sq ft for labor. Materials are supplied. Th...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 15, 2017
Total Cost to add a plug?

Hello all, We have a 6 year old home in Bradford and we would like to add a new plug for a counter top microwave in our basement. Our basement is unfinished and empty and the microwave will be installed...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 16, 2017
Sewer connection

I want to have a toilet in the garage 20 feet away. It is not an attached garage. There will have to be digging. There are trees and pathways along the way. Is it even possible? $$? Worth it...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 15, 2017
Bulging drywall ceiling corner

Hello, I have a two year home. A few weeks ago I noticed 2 straight lines bulging from corner of the ceiling. Please see attached image. Any idea what it is, and how to repair it or how much would it...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 10, 2017
Foundation basement window corner crack, how bad is it?

Hello Experts, I have a two year old home. I hired and inspector to check the house with no significant finding. We noticed a corner window crack from the outside of the house, but he said since ther...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 17, 2017
Price per receptacle

Hello, We live in a 20 year old home in Newmarket Ontario and we would like to upgrade all of our sockets and switches with a newer style. We currently have toggle switches and would like to switch to d...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 16, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x