Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Would like to start a renovation company

Hello, I am thinking of starting a renovations business in a completely and was just wondering if you could provide me with some feed back on what type of licenses and certificates I need, from my u...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 5, 2017
Questions on drywall

Some questions on drywall. I have always used 1/2 standard drywall for ceiling and walls. 1) Is the ultralight drywall a better product to use compared to standard? 2) 1/2 or 5/8...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
What do I need to be a certified carpenter besides schooling?

I'm wondering how I go about being a certified handyman, I know I need insurance like WCB but is there anything else I would need?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 5, 2017
Development/permit charges

New home construction in hamilton, property has existing home on it already as well as a farm dwelling. What are we looking at for costs for permits/development for this scenario? 2400sqft new...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 5, 2017
New home construction cost, general contracted by me in Flamborough/Millgrove area

Hello everyone, My wife and I are considering building a new home and are looking for some advice. We are going to be general contracting it ourselves. I'm well versed in the mechanical trades and c...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 5, 2017
Electrical contractor requirements

What are the requirements for obtaining your electrical contractors licence?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 4, 2017
Basement Insulation

I'm going to finish my garage and have been looking at insulation options. What do guys recommend? Spray Foam, Roxul, pink. Do you put anything against concrete wall?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 3, 2017
How to build home addition two story on the exisitng foundation

We have an old bungalow in the Fulton area Edmonton that is built in 1963 and we are planning to add a second story on the existing foundation. We heard that this can save $60-$80K in cost for foun...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 5, 2017
How much to install a second story balcony?

Hi there, I'd like to know how much it would cost to install a balcony out of our master bedroom (would look over our backyard). we'd need to make it "cat proof" if possible, ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 1, 2017
Rough cost to add 2 bedrooms and shared bathroom above garage in a bungalow

Hello, Wondering at a very high level what the ballpark costs would be to add a 2nd floor above our garage (20x20) which would include 2 bedrooms and a shared bathroom. It is a bungalow so wi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 2, 2017
House rewire

Aproximate price to have house rewired. 1350 square feet. Built in 1970. Live in BC, Canada. Sometimes a circuit goes if we have too much running. Not often - but it happens....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 20, 2017
Who is responsible for measuring and estimating a renovation project?

If a company finds a job and hires a subcontractor to do the project who is responsible to go in and measure and estimate the job?...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 30, 2017
Basement bathroom renovation

How much should I expect to pay on a basement bathroom renovation? New shower stall, drop ceiling, vanity, toilet and floor. Once all the materials are purchased what do you think the contractor...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 1, 2017
How to insulate ceiling of a room built under an open porch to prevent condensation?

I built a room under an existing open porch to expand living space in the basement, and to add structural stability to the porch itself. The new room faces south and has been fitted with windows and doors t...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 31, 2017
Kitchen electrical

Is it allowed to put a light switch in the same box as a non-gfi counter outlet in a kitchen (two different circuits)? Thanks...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 30, 2017
Basement renovation question

Hi Everyone, A couple of questions on basement renovations - does anyone have any experience with using the basement reno guys that "claim" they can finish a basement in 3 weeks. My understanding...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
Estimated costs to drywall and paint in Winnipeg

What is the approximate cost to drywall and paint a 10x10 room in Winnipeg?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 1, 2017
Hot to lay down tile island in basement

Good day, With all the floor changing in my basement I want to create an island along the wall and put some tiles, so that area can be use for my aquarium. So the aquarium wait would be apx 700kg wit...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 31, 2017
Vapor barrier seal

Hello, I have a question about basement vapor barrier. My home is 2 years old. Basement is pored concrete and the builder has insulated everything. A few days ago I noticed that the plastic membrane is n...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 17, 2017
Cost for a 15'x8' rebared 3" thick concrete floor

How much would a contractor charge for a 15'x8' rebared 3" thick concrete floor?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 1, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x