Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
25% of contract price for restocking fee?

I am thinking of cancelling a contract but the agreement states that if cancelled after 10 days, I have to pay for restocking fee. So does that mean other than my $2000 deposit, I need to pay restoc...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 6, 2015
Cost to do 280 sq ft concrete patio?

280 sq ft concrete patio. How much does it cost? And usually how much is the charge per sq foot?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 11, 2015
Advice on fixing a cement pan?

Hello, I have a cement shower pan that has some high and low spots that I want to fix. It all slopes towards the drain, but it will suck for tiling. To fix this I need to chisel some cement away ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 2, 2015
How difficult is it to put mobile home on basement?

How difficult is it to take out an existing mobile and put onto a poured basement?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 1, 2015
Was shower pan done wrong?

I recently had a contractor in to put in a dry pack mud bed, and I have done tonnes of research, so I could sort of tell it may not have been done right, but I hoping to get some professional input....

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 8, 2015
Cost for boarding and taping a 22'x24' flat ceiling?

What is approximate cost for boarding and taping a 22'x24' flat ceiling, no stucco or anything? Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 31, 2015
Is there a licensing system in place for general contractors?

Is there a licensing system in place for general contractors? And if so, where can I find it? I'm doing research on general contractors in New Brunswick and the rest of Canada. Thanks...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 1, 2015
What recourse can be taken against supplier?

I am a trim carpenter working on a custom house in Southern Ontario. The door and trim supplier has taken delay after delay in delivering material which has put me about 6 weeks behind schedule. The order was p...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 1, 2015
What size sono tube for deck post?

What size sono tube for a 8x8 post, for a second story deck? Thanks, Brian...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 28, 2015
How to finish deck stairs on a concrete slab?

I recently built a deck off our main floor over our walkout basement. I build stairs down to a concrete slab and I'm finding the railing to be pretty wobbly. Is there a way I can beef them up without pour...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 11, 2016
What is the going rate per sq foot to frame a garage in Calgary?

I need to know how much framers are charging per sq foot to build a garage. Thanks...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 25, 2015
Cost to frame basement in Calgary?

How much does it cost per square foot just to frame a basement in Calgary. I have some walls I would need framed and some bulkheads and I'm just wondering how much it would cost just to frame it? The...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 25, 2015
Cost to frame deck and fence in Calgary?

If I supply the lumber, what should it cost in just labor to frame a deck and a fence in Calgary? I'm not sure about the deck size yet so I'm just wondering if it is per square foot or how a co...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 26, 2015
Can I install tiling before doing other kitchen renovations?

Hi all, We have decided to install new porcelain tiles on an approx 175sq ft kitchen. In a few years we are eventually going to replace the cabinets and cupboards. The new ones will probably not be going...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post September 11, 2015
What is causing moisture issue with basement sill plate?

I have a 10 foot section of sill plate in my basement, that has a few small areas that have been consistently moist since we moved in (about a year). The accumulation did not track from anywhere in...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 24, 2015
How do I find out about the unhappy customers?

If I ask a company for references, I assume they're only going to give me the names of people they already know will speak good about them. What if there are dozens more unhappy customers, how do I...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 18, 2015
Is there a way to determine what kind of paint is on the walls?

Without getting too technical, is there a test one could do at home to figure out what kind of paint (oil or water based) is on ones' walls or ceiling?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 15, 2015
What is the cost for just ventilating a coldroom?

That is, drilling a hole on the cold room walls to be able to run a vent for heating and cooling of the cold room. Thanks very much!...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 14, 2015
Cost of labor to hang drywall?

I have a basement that needs to be finished. Walls are 9ft and the studs are wood. I need labor costs just to hang the drywall. No mud, no sanding, and no material cost. It's about 2000 sqft so I as...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 20, 2015
What is the proper drainage fill to use under a thick flagstone walkway?

I have a makeshift flagstone walkway in my urban backyard. I don't think it was laid correctly, as water pools on it when it rains. I'd like to raise it one stone at a time, filling it with the ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 13, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x