Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost for cement floor?

I have a sun porch - approximately 15' X 33', on a cement block foundation. The crawlspace is 4' high. I would like to fill the crawlspace floor with a rough concrete floor. What would th...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 17, 2015
Where can I get fire rated interior pocket doors that meet BC building codes?

Hi, I am building a house and the design calls for two interior pocket doors that are fire rated up to BC building codes as it would separate a shared space and then a separate suite. Any ideas on wher...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 7, 2015
Cost to paint and add more cupboards?

How much would it cost to paint cupboards and add a few more cupboard? I need more cupboards but I hate the red color on the cupboards I have right now. Only looking for estimates right now. Thank...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 16, 2016
Cost to install hardwood floors?

300 sq foot living room. How much would it cost to put down hardwood floors? Thanks....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 6, 2015
How much would backyard landscaping cost?

How much would something like this cost? I would also like a pond with fish. Interested in only cost right now. Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 2, 2015
Cost per ft for asphalt paving?

The driveway is 80x12ft. Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 1, 2015
What are contractor obligations?

I am an independent (work by myself) handyman with over 20 years in the general contracting field. I was retained by a lady through a referral do fix a moldy shower stall. Upon inspection, there ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 2, 2015
What is the cheapest cost to install metal roofing in Toronto?

Let's say 1200 s/f bungalow for the estimation. Only looking for cost right now. Thank you...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 31, 2015
Framing/insulating a shared duplex basement wall?

We are finishing the basement in our duplex and have gotten a few different quotes. It is currently unfinished builder's grade. One wall of the basement is the shared wall with our neighbour. It is pla...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post April 5, 2015
On siding installation, when installing anti-rodent trims, should you overlap them?

I wonder if the overlap is important when installing anti-rodent trim at the bottom of the siding. Is there a difference to install it with an overlap or not?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 30, 2015
What is the proper footing height and width for a 25x16x13h garage?

I'm using 8" durisol block for foundation. The garage is located downtown Toronto. Thanks....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 31, 2015
How to deal with objectionable handyman?

I have read all terms/privacy & ask if my question is not to be put in this forum-excuse me & advise. The handyman had a very objectionable way of dealing with me, however that being said, one ca...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 31, 2015
What options are there for wood siding for a detached garage?

My house is a 1 1/2 storey clapboard house. The existing detached garage is leaning and is rotten at the back so needs to be replaced. The new garage needs to complement the house. I would like to find ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 28, 2015
Laminate or vinyl planks in basement?

We are finishing our basement and the flooring right now is just builder's concrete. We live in Alberta and there doesn't seem to be any moisture or mould issues in the basement (thus far!)...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post September 30, 2015
How do I soundproof a wall?

The wall in question is between a reception area and a yoga studio. I was told the wall is not insulated and was not "properly built" and is a hanging wall. The floors in the heritage building are so ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 27, 2015
Cost for bathroom renovation?

How much would something like this cost? It looks like my bathroom, probably the same size. - we need to change the tub, toilet and the floor as well; the floor area outside the tub is 25 sq feet...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post April 28, 2015
Legal height for fence in Richmond Hill?

Hello, Is it by law in Richmond Hill if the fence can be approx. 6 ft tall with about 1 foot of lattice on top? Total height of the fence is 7 with the lattice. This is beside our neighbours on t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 22, 2015
Cost for interlock walkway/porch?

How much would something like this cost? I like the style. We are looking to have our driveway paved as well as adding an interlock walkway and front porch. Only looking for cost at this point. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 22, 2015
Cost of preparation of land for manufactured home?

I need an idea of the cost related to preparing a piece of land for a manufactured home. I have a run down barn that is on a concrete slab that we need removed and prepared to be placed a manufactured home. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 25, 2015
Where to get manufactured homes in Lower Mainland/Maple Ridge?

My property is restricted to adding a second dwelling that is a manufactured home. What companies make them and deliver them in the Lower Mainland, preferably around Maple Ridge?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 18, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x