Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost to stain/finish new maple staircase?

Looking to have our staircase stained and finished to match our cabinets. We are searching for general price range and brief break down of the process/time frame it would take to complete. We have had a few...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
Why do pipes burst on freezing?

Water has a property of expanding while freezing. This property leads to an increase in the pressure exerted by water on the pipes. However, an important point that must be understood is that it's not alw...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post December 11, 2014
What's involved for garage extension?

We would like to extend the front of our garage 2 feet. We would use our existing garage door. Our man door is at the front of the garage. Do we would need to move it to the side of the garage? Please l...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 11, 2014
How can I darken tile grout?

I just had a white tile floor - the classic hexagons, installed in my bathroom. Lovely pattern, but when the white grout was applied, the pattern disappeared. The floor now looks too white and bor...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 15, 2014
Should we be concerned about vinyl plank installed over uneven floors?

As part of our basement development, our contractor installed luxury vinyl plank over our concrete floors. Prior to installing the floors, I pointed out a large area (approx 2'x2') where...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 22, 2021
Cost for fireplace re-facing?

I have bought quartzite to go over existing brick fireplace and need to know what the installation cost for a mason would be. It's a corner fireplace 5' wide x 8' high. Only looking for estimates...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 11, 2014
How to install a bathroom in a basement with floating walls?

I'm based in Winnipeg and I'm renovating my basement and planning to install a bathroom in the basement. My basement has floating walls and I can't figure out how I would be able to attach the acryl...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 25, 2015
Has anyone constructed built-ins for a bar fridge/wine cooler using drywall?

As part of our basement development, we asked our contractor to create a built-in bar fridge and wine cooler space as part of our dry bar. Our understanding was that the fridges would be surrounded by wood&...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 7, 2014
Do we need additional circuits added to our electrical panel?

We hired a contractor to finish off a partially developed space in our basement (approx 400 sqft), but are concerned about the electrical work being done. The previous configuration had all outlets ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 5, 2014
What is the required space between drywall and concrete subfloor?

We hired a contractor for our basement development and amidst a slew of issues we've had with them, we've now discovered that in some areas, the drywall they installed is sitting directly on the...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post August 2, 2015
Is the first shingle row usually glued to the starter course?

Hi, I am currently researching some information about roofing techniques. When you are installing shingles on a roof, is the first row of shingle glued on the starter course? Or the shingle...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 3, 2014
What to do when your household wiring is suspicious?

I recently discovered that my house (Circa 1942) contains cloth type copper wiring in certain locations and it seems that the insulation is beginning to disintegrate. Although the panel is a breaker typ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 3, 2014
Can window with condensation be resealed?

We live in the Highlands overlooking the Frazer Valley. It gets chilly up here and my kitchen window has developed a circle of condensation. How can I find out if the seal is broken and how can it be fixed...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 29, 2014
Is it normal to find water under basement concrete?

My house is 6 years old. Has 3 pieces roughing for bathroom. Had to break concrete to move pvc pipes. Noticed water underneath while we were digging the gravels out. Wondering if this is normal? Does...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 30, 2014
Is it okay to install halogen lights on polyester cabinets?

We recently had halogen lights installed in our new kitchen. We noticed that some of the cabinet doors when opened fall under the halogen lights and this has caused the top of the door to blister and peel. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 25, 2014
How to install towel racks on tiles in bathroom?

I'd like to drill some holes through new ceramic or porcelain tile in my bathroom. I tried my normal drill and bits, but my bits are burnt and the tile is so slippery. I do not want to have cracks on...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 25, 2014
What to do about paid Electrician who doesn't return calls?

We have built a brand new garage, and are almost done - drywall is in and everything is painted. Our electrician (whom we've paid in full minus 10%) has gone MIA. What are our options?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 25, 2014
What are your thoughts on vinyl tiles over ceramic floors?

I got a call this week from someone wanting to install vinyl tiles (peel and stick 18"X18" and an adhesive) over the existing ceramic floor tiles. Apparently, the local big box store told hi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 25, 2014
Need advice on water heater?

Hi, My heating system is water. It is an old system but I never had a real problem. Last week I started the furnace, however I had to move the thermostat up and at around 65. It started ok, but i...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post November 22, 2014
How to create panels on my wainscot in the basement?

I am currently remodeling my basement. I am about to install the wainscot and want to create a panel look. I have a magazine picture of the way I would like it to look. The basement is L shaped and all the wall...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 22, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x