Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What type of flooring would you put on a wood basement floor?

I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer. We live in Alberta and have an above ground (walls 4' high) wood basement built in 1983 (rare as hens teeth as I have found out). ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 11, 2015
What is the industry norm on a house reno, cost plus what percentage?

I have been recommended 3 contractors by my designer & the percentage mark-up is different on one....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 10, 2015
Ideas to rebuild house and add storey?

Crazy idea, but only for information purpose. I live on a 8000 sqft lot. I was willing to rebuild my house by adding a floor (storey). I currently have a bungalow house with one garage. There are...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 9, 2015
What is the best type of whole home humidifier?

We just moved into a 20 yr. old home that's roughly 2900 sq. ft. and these winter months have become extremely dry. The home does not currently have a whole home humidification system so we've been using ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 8, 2015
How do you raise the faucet in the bath tub area?

What is the easiest way to raise the taps and the spout for the water in the bathtub area? A friend of mine wants to take the old tub out and put a new deeper one in. The problem is that the taps will b...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 2, 2015
Is it possible to spray popcorn texture onto a painted ceiling?

Ours is 10 x 12. It has white latex paint on it now. Can it be coated with "popcorn" texture? Mike...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 7, 2015
What are the do's and don'ts on garage door renovations?

I'm doing an article on garage door renos. I wanted to have a more professional voice to it and would really appreciate any info or direction given. What are some of the key do's and don'ts peopl...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 6, 2015
What is the cost for drop ceiling installation?

Hi, I'm a contractor and pricing some jobs. Anyone know the going rate for drop ceiling installation, labour only? Thanks...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 5, 2015
What to do about water found while digging concrete floor?

I have a 75 year old home. I decided to put in a shower in my basement. While digging through the concrete floor to make room for the drain I encountered a cavity of about 3' by 4' under the floor with...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 3, 2015
What is the cost for a rear extension/addition?

Hello, We live in Scarborough. We have semi detached 2 storey brick home on a 30x145 lot. The house is 20ft wide with a 10 ft driveway. We are considering a back extension of approximately 208 sqtft. ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 27, 2019
What is the cost to build a deck and fence?

What is the ballpark price to build a plain deck, 10 by 12 ft and a fence to cover the area, 54 by 42 ft? The base estimate is needed. Extras will add to this price....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 2, 2015
How much to renovate bathroom shower?

I would first need to create the necessary space by tearing down an existing wall to enlarge the bathroom. I am looking for a tile/glass shower similar to the one shown, with a bench, wall grooves ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post February 3, 2015
Cost to build garage?

How much would something like this cost? 24x14 wood garage with new cement slab. Garage with vinyl siding. Remove old garage. Looking for cost at this time. Thanks....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 25, 2015
best value to add new space

Hi I live on a narrow 20' x 130' lot in the west end of Toronto near Bloor. I have a detached house with approximately 1000 square feet of living space and a small finished basement with another 400 ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 24, 2015
Cause of cracking butt joints?

Hi guys, I have a client who wants me to fix his ceiling in his basement. It is a boarded, flat finish and I have found that the butt joints are cracking where it is taped. Now the floor joists are 2...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 28, 2015
Is it a problem for vapour barrier to be cut when adding pot lights?

We're having 4 pot lights and two pendants installed in the kitchen. The ceiling has an insulated attic above it. Is it a problem, because the vapor barrier will have to be cut?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 29, 2015
What to do about sunroom water leaks?

4 season sunroom has developed water leaks from the roof. It's only a few years old. What to do about the problem? Looking for repair ideas. Thanks....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 5, 2019
How can one decide the best fence and deck contractor?

Planning to install a fence and deck at my residence. Looking for suggestions on how to hire the best contractor. Only looking for advice at this time. Thanks....

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 19, 2015
What is the best way to deal with a contractor that does not pay his subtrades?

Lets say there's a house in Delta, BC and the contractor has hired a concrete cutting company to cut in some window into the basement area. If the work was done in the first week of November and the con...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 24, 2015
Is there a new law coming into effect for contractors?

Was there a new law coming into effect as far as Contractors having to give written estimates, can't go over quotes, etc? I thought it was a MB law or CAD regulation to protect home owners fr...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 17, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x