Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What Are Common Renovation Mistakes Made By Homeowners?

Hello Everyone! My husband and I are in the process of planning our first major renovation - a complete main floor overhaul - and are trying to gather as much information as possible to ensure we do it righ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 26, 2014
What is the best way to insulate basement?

Hi there, I'm getting ready to finish off my 6 year old basement. I have actually framed over the builders insulation wrap - tried not to crush the wrap too much. My question is, would I re...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 19, 2014
What is the best way to mount a credenza?

Hello, I want to mount a credenza about 4' wide and 3' feet tall. It has 3 levels of shelving which I'm planning on filling with glassware. My boyfriend bought 2 brackets to screw in at the ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 19, 2014
What is better for heating, hot water tank or boiler heat?

We have just purchased a 1989 home that currently uses a furnace and boiler for heating. The lower part of our house is heated by boiler approximately 400 to 500 sq feet. We are upgrading furnace, hot w...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 19, 2014
How much for a car port?

How much for the car port in the photo?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 16, 2014
What City licences do I need for renovations?

I just bought an apt downtown. The building is old (1914) but the inside is well kept. I would like to add a bedroom (I have the space), and split the bathroom into one full bathroom and one...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 19, 2014
How much for a home addition?

Would like a rough estimate for an addition to the front of my home. Interior would be a mudroom and exterior would be something like you see in the picture. How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 15, 2014
Can you mount heavy items on walls without 2x4's?

Hey, I've lived in this apartment for a couple years and I have mounted at least 10 items, from shelves to pictures, and even a 40" television. I have looked for studs for many of these i...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 1, 2015
What is the cost of wiring a 1600 sqft basement?

Two bedrooms, washroom, a living area and utility room. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 8, 2014
Can I reapply the Roxul R14 without causing moisture problem?

I had Roxul R14 in my basement before having 2" of spray foam applied directly to the poured basement walls and header area. Can I reapply the Roxul R14 back into the new framing without causing a moist...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 8, 2014
What is the cost for kitchen and bathroom renovation?

Good Evening, We need to increase our kitchen counter space as we currently have virtually none. We believe that in order to do so, we'd have to remove the wall separating the kitchen from the di...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post June 13, 2016
Should I install a torched on membrane on low slope roof?

I have a low slope roof 3 to 12. There has been a lot of ice dammng in the winter. I am getting the insulation and ventilation improved so this should improve the ice formation. But I have had inspectors and e...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 2, 2014
Advice on foundation for a shed?

I am looking to build a shed 8 x 12. What are your thoughts on foundations? I am looking at pouring a pad. How thick should it be? What type a cement should I use? And how should I prep the area wh...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 1, 2014
How much to replace vinyl siding with stucco or brick?

How much would it cost to replace vinyl exterior with stucco or brick? Currently has vinyl. Thanks....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 27, 2014
Cost per sf to build 1500 sf, 4 level split in Edmonton?

Hi there, We've 'acquired' a 1966 3 level split home that is sitting on a shifting foundation. We are looking at our options - stabilize (12+ pilings needed) and repair the i...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 27, 2014
What is the cost for gutting a house?

Hi, We're trying to figure out the budget for our home renovation and need a ballpark price for our home gutting, to rip it to studs, all the floors, drywall, kitchen, bathrooms ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 30, 2014
What is the cost for home renovations?

Convert 2 rooms into one master bedroom, hardwood floor, ceiling, and remove load bearing wall. How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 25, 2014
Need advice on dura deck installation exposing crowned joists?

Vinyl duradeck got installed over the plywood of our new deck (20' x 15') and it exposed a massive ridge along the main cross beam through the middle of the deck. My GC claims that the deck is ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 23, 2014
Do you recommend engineered oak flooring?

Hi, I want to install a new Hardwood Floor. What we came up on is engineered oak with the click system. No glue or nails. 12 mm. Would you guys recommend it? Also, one room is over the garage ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 8, 2018
Is deck being built properly?

Worried cause I have a person started my deck. Asked for sono tubes and he wanted to do boards and has already did that part, lower end of deck that's below the basement window height. Now it looks li...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 23, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x