Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Should stucco be installed during colder temperatures?

Last week I sent an email to my general contractor saying that the weather is too cold for installing stucco; it was barely above zero during the day and minus 6 at night. He started installing on Thursday,...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 17, 2014
Best Way to insulate a cinderblock home?

I purchased a cinder block home that is not insulated at all, so need advice on the best way to insulate it (& hopefully not break the bank). In addition, we have been getting cold fronts an...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 16, 2014
Can I install ceramic tile on stairs to basement?

I am re tiling my home and want to take the tile down the stairs to the basement. Can I ceramic the stairs to my basement and what is required for preparing the stairs prior to tiling? Are there any ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 16, 2014
Cost to raise kitchen cabinets?

How much would it cost to raise kitchen cabinets by about 12 inches? Only looking for approx. cost right now. Thanks....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 13, 2014
Are new windows defective if they have condensation?

We had 31-year-old wooden windows that needed replacing. Many of the seals were broken, etc. We just had new windows put in and are surprised to see just as much condensation as on our old windows. Befo...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 11, 2014
Cost to enlarge basement window to fit legal standards in Winnipeg?

Approx. how much does it cost to renovate an existing small basement egress window so that it could fit the legal standards in Winnipeg? I need to reconstruct the window according to city of Winnipeg'...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 7, 2016
Cost to convert closet into powder room?

How much would it cost to have a small closet converted into a small powder room, 3ft by 5 ft? Looking for basic/medium fixtures. Would need to have the closet extended 2-3 ft in order to meet...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 13, 2014
How to cover stairs to keep snow outside?

Hello, I have outside stairs going to basement. I would like to cover those stairs to keep snow outside. But at the same time I don't want to block light going to the basement. Any ideas and rec...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 8, 2014
Framing advice on partial removal of load bearing wall?

I have a load bearing wall downstairs and I want to take a part of it out. I need certified professional advice on the support I have to hold the beam up. Or do I need more support framed in?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 9, 2014
What are the proper steps taken before demolishing a shed?

I am the owner of an income producing duplex and would like to remove a shed to get access to the backyard to add parking. 1) Do I need a demolition permit for a 10 x 16 structure if it has a floating f...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 12, 2014
Relocate radiator or install in-floor heating for 360 square feet?

We are planning on moving our kitchen to the family room area at the back of the house. The family room is about 24' by 15', with three floor-to-ceiling double french doors facing south. It is heate...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 4, 2014
Do I need to remove old attic insulation before installing new fiberglass batts?

Hello, The house was built in the 50's. I would say if the insulation in the attic was redone it would have been 30 years ago. If the old insulation does not need to be removed, do I lay the new ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 28, 2015
What type of shower tile repair do we need?

When we moved into our house the master bathroom shower tile had clear caulking in it and mildew had begun to form under it. We contacted someone and they cut out all the clear caulking and put a glaze over th...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 8, 2014
How to determine how much drywall is needed to build home?

How much drywall is needed to board an 1870 square foot home and 1600 square foot basement? We don't know how to figure it out. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 9, 2014
How to repair cracked corner beads?

I used paper inside and outside corner beads and some of them are cracking. Is there anything I can do to fix them, or do I have to replace them?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 7, 2014
What is the extra cost if plywood is replaced while roof is replaced?

I am replacing my tar and gravel with torch on. I was told the plywood has dry rot and all plywood should be replaced. The sq footage of my floor is appox 1400. It is a Vancouver special. I was told that it wil...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 3, 2014
BuildDirect .com - has anyone used them?

As mentioned in a previous post, we are planning a major renovation of the main floor of our 18 year old home and are seeking as much information and advice before we proceed. As part of our renovation ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 14, 2014
What is the tile installation labour cost per sqft in Alberta?

Tiles are 12X24 polished ceramic. Installed in a 425 sqft bathroom, all walls, floor, and ceiling. Simple Pattern, simple border. What is the average cost for labour?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 3, 2014
Is it too late in the year to have siding installed?

We had a contractor do stucco on our home back in August. He did a terrible job and he refuses to make it right. Since it is now too late to fix it, can it be removed and replaced with siding?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 27, 2014
What to do wih high humidity in a 50 yr old house?

I get moisture in our windows which are new. What could be causing this?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 27, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x