Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Demo, excavate and pour footings in cold weather

Is it possible to demo (small bungalow with crawl space) excavate and pour footings with snow on ground and in this cold weather? Want to get this project started asap. What are pros and con...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 21, 2014
What can I do about a bad contractor?

They started 8 months ago and don't come often and are doing horrible work....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post February 26, 2014
direct access to garage

Hi, I am thinking to open a direct access into the garage from inside the house, it's a single garage. The house is located in Markham, Ontario. I heard there's permit that we have ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 26, 2014
Can creaky floors be repaired to eliminate creaks?

The floors under our wall to wall carpeting on the second floor have become unbearably creaky when walked on. Can this type of thing be fixed?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 21, 2014
My contractor did a terrible job in my new home, and refuses to fix the problems but wants the rest - 40% money.

My renovation guy delayws the project for more then 2 months (he said it will be finished in 5 days.) He did a terrible job on my new house. The lippage between some marbles he installed on my main f...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 24, 2015
I had a contactor give me a fake name and didn't get paid

I had a contactor give me a fake name and he didnt end up paying me for the job I completed in clients house. The clients paid him but he took off with the money. What steps can I take to get my money? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 9, 2014
Concrete Piers

My 736 sq/ft house currently sits on cinder blocks (not a good foundation). I am looking into possibly putting it on concrete piers (sonotubes). Is this a good idea?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 7, 2014
Important information for Homeowners from Ontario gov't for renos and repairs

http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Homes_Repairs_and_Renovations.aspx After reading a lot of posts with home owners wondering their legal rights, I thought I wo...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 6, 2014
Ontario government helps homeowners against fraud

www.ontario.ca/consumerbeware Is the legal site where home owners can search for contractors who may be illegally doing work or have been fined and registered carrying out fraudulent business practices. ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 29, 2014
In floor heat is roughed in. What do I need now?

In floor electric heat is roughed in for the main and master bathrooms. There are just blank plates on the wall where the controllers would be. Do I need anything specific to get this operating or can I jus...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 31, 2014
Do I need a permit and does the contractor get the permit for me?

I have a cement outside porch with no roof and would like to add a wood railing, close in the porch and add a roof, and wood stairs to the ground and decking on the ground. Do I need a permit?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 26, 2014
Typically how much per sq ft to drywall a new home?

Just looking for a price comparison for drywall and tape prices. 1425 sq ft. Plus what's included?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 7, 2014
I would like to open up the back of my house and extend it 10 feet.

I have a small house and its all open concept. The previous owner extended one side to fit the stove but its raised floor and its freezing in that area. I hate it!!! I would like to take that ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 27, 2015
How much to finish basement?

In basement, finish a room 11'x17' with closet (I have flooring) and bathroom 5'x9', with 3 pc. (I have fixtures)....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 27, 2014
Contractors not showing up - but we still owe them money!

We hired a bathroom/kitchen company to redo our master bathroom, and it's been 12 weeks today since work started. There are still numerous small jobs to finish, including the plumbing in the sh...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post February 22, 2014
Per square foot cost of basement renovation

Built in bookshelves with stone pillars, counter bar, laminate floor, suspended ceiling, custom shower in bathroom, ceramic tile floor in bathroom, carpeted stairs. Cost per square fo...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 21, 2014
Per Square foot costs of a couple things

Wondering some basic feasibility numbers. What is the typical per square foot cost of an addition (no basement)? Further to that what is the per square foot cost to add basement space (below...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 21, 2014
Small water leak from bathroom fan??

Very cold weather lately and last night a small leak from bathroom ceiling fan/vent. Possible condensation in venting system. Will it stop? Should I call someone to check it out? Who should I ca...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 16, 2014
What brand of vinyl siding is the best?

What would you recommend for a maintenance free exterior siding? It seems they all have terrible reviews!...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 6, 2019
Pot lights keep blowing

Last summer we did a full basement reno including installing pot lights. The customer called and said that the bulbs keep blowing (halogen - 50W) and are expensive to keep replacing. There are pot light...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post January 13, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x