Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Is a building permit required if I plan to add a bathroom in a basement of a condominium townhouse?

Is building permit required if I plan to add a bathroom in a basement of a condominium townhouse? Of course it will come with a small kitchen and new drywall over the entire basement. Thanks....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 21, 2013
I got ripped off by my contractor, what should I do?

I hired a contractor. I have a written agreement and written communication between myself and him on the price, and work to be completed. I paid him in full after 90% of the work had been completed....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post July 7, 2019
Wood floor ripped out in basement/water damage cindercrete walls in heavey gumbo land what should we replace for flooring and drainage? wit

Basement is 6' deep heavey gumbo landscaping to divert water we are down to dirt what is next best step? Gravel and concrete/ or gravel and wood?Eventually want a finished basement floor....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 26, 2013
Foundation for a Minihome

I own a minihome in the Fredericton area in New Brunswick; I also own the lot that it sits on. I was looking into powering some concrete and make a proper foundation instead of the old wood pillars. Here ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post December 11, 2013
What would be the basic cost of finishing a "full" basement that is about 650 square feet big?

We'd like to finish our full basement. It is about 650 square feet big. We wanted just an open-space basement, flooring to walls to ceiling. Just a basic done basement. We don't want to spend $&...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 12, 2014
Drywall Intallation Per Sq

I need to know the price for installation of drywall. Thanks...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 15, 2014
Bathtub Caulking

Why is my new bathtub (in a new bathroom) constantly having the caulking peel off and a mildew shows quite fast on that part? It has been recaulked once and it peels off in 2 areas. The bathroom...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 2, 2013
Contract Disputes

I have a contract with a client finishing up some work in his basement. Everything was going great, up until a week ago. We have the details, and numbers in order, but then their has been a few sma...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 30, 2013
Tudor-style a home

I would like to add Tudor characteristics like vertical and horizontal timbers to the upper part of my house, around windows and under gables. Currently it has stucco applied all over the house using a fan ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 3, 2013
How to make a shower without a threshold

I am planing a big shower space with two source of water and no doors. I do not want any steps to go in, I want a flush floor. The house is in construction right now. What is the best way to do it witho...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post November 27, 2013
Mortar

Can Cyntech Screed 31 medium bed mortar be used in a shower?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 26, 2013
Buttering 12" x 24" shower wall tiles

Would the wall and the tile both need to be fully buttered with mortar to ensure adhesion?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 29, 2013
What hourly rate would a 10 yr licensed Carpenter charge in Ottawa, Ontario?

I'm a self employed contractor charging too little. Overhead is tough. Think I made more being employed. What's your opinion on a rate to charge for a very fast and experienced Carpenter with a tru...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post August 16, 2019
What is the cost of widening or extending current second floor dormers?

I am looking to extend or widen the current dormer (about 2-2.5 feet on each side) on the second floor of our house. What kind of costs and/or potential issues could this have?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 13, 2013
How much does it cost to frame 700 sqft basement?

I am doing a basement with 1 one room, bathroom and laundryroom and closet space. I need help with cost. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 12, 2013
Looking for advice on a combo CO/Smoke alarm that wires into the current smoke alarm spot

We bought a battery combo smoke/CO alarm and it failed because it wasnt connected to the rest of the house. The inspector said it must wire into the current smoke alarm spot but Home Hardware doesnt carry t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 11, 2013
What would be Cost of Adding Bedroom in basement

Bedroom size would be 10 X 12 ft 12 ft. Wall would be straight across. 10 ft has partial wall and is where door and closet would need to go. See photo. Framing/drywall/door and closet. What should ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 1, 2013
Problems with cold air coming in around the windows

We have a relatively new house, built in 2001, and are having problems with cold air coming in around the windows. Four of the windows are side opening and we have two sets of French doors. The house ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 26, 2013
Foundation Problem

I had a foundation poured for a 16x20 foot building. The foundation is the wrong size and is not level. The building is sitting on the inside edge of the forms instead of in the centre and is already underw...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 27, 2013
Cost to Replace Sewer Drain Pipes in Crawlspace

I just got a bill to replace all my sewer drain pipes in my crawlspace. Two people were here 3.5 hours and with parts was $1400. Is this fair? I could see scratches and changes on the bill to go fro...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 5, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x