Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Do I need a permit and does the contractor get the permit for me?

I have a cement outside porch with no roof and would like to add a wood railing, close in the porch and add a roof, and wood stairs to the ground and decking on the ground. Do I need a permit?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 26, 2014
Typically how much per sq ft to drywall a new home?

Just looking for a price comparison for drywall and tape prices. 1425 sq ft. Plus what's included?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 7, 2014
I would like to open up the back of my house and extend it 10 feet.

I have a small house and its all open concept. The previous owner extended one side to fit the stove but its raised floor and its freezing in that area. I hate it!!! I would like to take that ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 27, 2015
How much to finish basement?

In basement, finish a room 11'x17' with closet (I have flooring) and bathroom 5'x9', with 3 pc. (I have fixtures)....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 27, 2014
Contractors not showing up - but we still owe them money!

We hired a bathroom/kitchen company to redo our master bathroom, and it's been 12 weeks today since work started. There are still numerous small jobs to finish, including the plumbing in the sh...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post February 22, 2014
Per square foot cost of basement renovation

Built in bookshelves with stone pillars, counter bar, laminate floor, suspended ceiling, custom shower in bathroom, ceramic tile floor in bathroom, carpeted stairs. Cost per square fo...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 21, 2014
Per Square foot costs of a couple things

Wondering some basic feasibility numbers. What is the typical per square foot cost of an addition (no basement)? Further to that what is the per square foot cost to add basement space (below...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 21, 2014
Small water leak from bathroom fan??

Very cold weather lately and last night a small leak from bathroom ceiling fan/vent. Possible condensation in venting system. Will it stop? Should I call someone to check it out? Who should I ca...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 16, 2014
What brand of vinyl siding is the best?

What would you recommend for a maintenance free exterior siding? It seems they all have terrible reviews!...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 6, 2019
Pot lights keep blowing

Last summer we did a full basement reno including installing pot lights. The customer called and said that the bulbs keep blowing (halogen - 50W) and are expensive to keep replacing. There are pot light...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post January 13, 2014
What percent of a project is design?

Hey. I wonder what percentage of a total project ends up with design. I mean for a 100,000 dollar addition, what should an architect or designer cost? Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 12, 2014
Fireplace Problem

I have a family room brick fireplace which is attached to an outer wall and right below it another one in the basement. These put together are a major reason for heat loss in my house. Can this whole chimen...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 9, 2014
Stair Upgrade

We want to redo our stair railing and newels to refresh the look, something more modern to go with the rest of the renos that have been done. Research tells me that the landing newel cannot be replaced. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 4, 2014
Latest Building Code Book

I need an updated version of the building code. I am not sure where to obtain one. I have an older one, but it was given to me. Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 5, 2014
Crackling Outlet

I have aluminum wiring. An outlet in my bathroom made a crackling noise the last time I plugged something in. Rather than call in an Electrician to install a GFCI outlet, can I just tie off the wiring w...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 6, 2014
Basement Insulation Options

I purchased my home brand new 8years ago. I am wanting to finish my basement and use it as a living space. It currently has your typical builder minimum code insulation. I initially wanted to use 2lb close...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 4, 2014
Door, Casing and Baseboard Work

I'm a contractor. I build custom stairs and hand rails. One of my clients wants me to do some trim work and hang some door jams and casing. I don't want to over charge my client but I also don't wan...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 4, 2014
How to install bath fan with no attic

My house has no attic, just a flat roof above. Can I/how do I install a bath fan?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 2, 2014
Basement Framing

My 2 years old house's unfinished basement insulation is the R12 rolled batt style that extends all the way down the walls secured with vapor barrier plastic. Can I put up the frame 3 inches offset from...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 2, 2014
Is an architect necessary to create blueprints for a home addition in Halifax?

I'm in initial stages of planning a house addition in Halifax, Nova Scotia and the designer I'm working with is insisting to get architect drawings. She said it is required to get permits. That...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 21, 2013
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x