Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Want to convert a piece of my garage into my laundry room

Currently I have washer and dryer in my basement. I want to convert a small piece of my garage into my laundry room, so I can use the basement for a bedroom, and have main floor laundry. Is this pos...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 2, 2013
Bosch Air Nailer

I purchased a new Bosch air nailer. The finish nailer won't continuously shoot. I need to open the gun and manually push the nails forward. Any ideas what's going on here? I added 3 drops of ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 14, 2013
Laminate Flooring Installation

I've been rebuilding my basement after a flood and now it's time for me to install the floor. The basement is 1,200 sqft so expenses build up very quickly. The concrete slab is very dry and in ve...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post October 5, 2013
3.5 months to complete driveway install, too long??

Good day folks, I'll be as brief as I can here. On the 30th of May 2013 I hired a contractor to do a driveway install. 1 Month after hiring them they began work, (removing old asphalt, e...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post July 28, 2015
Liquid Rubber on raised SubFloor in a damp basement?

My basement is damp and we just had a 4" water flood from a leaking shower drain that we only noticed 5 months later (the water collected without us knowing). Now that the damage is done with the w...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 24, 2013
New Contractor

Hi, I just started a new business. I'm looking for advice on how to quote jobs. I want to install some garage pads and side walks and bought all the forms. Thanks....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 16, 2013
Constantly Popping Lightbulbs

A few months ago I installed some pot lights for a customer (the pots got a 5/5 customer rating on the store website). Two of the pots constantly blow out the halogen bulbs. They are on two differen...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post September 16, 2013
Kitchen Reno - Payment Schedule

Is there an industry standard for a Payment Schedule for a kitchen reno? I want to hold back 10% for 45 days, but company says 25% on signing, 65% on delivery, and 10% on com...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 28, 2013
White 9" Vinyl Siding with 8 1/4 Exposure

Hi, I need to find some older style vinyl siding that measures 9" from bottom to top nailing fin. with 8 1/4" exposure in white which is single. The one already on the house appears to also h...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 10, 2013
Trimming New Windows to Hide J-Chan

Hi All, I just had new windows installed. They removed the old retrofit ones, and took the opening right back to the framing - the new vinyl windows were made to size, and installed without a nai...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 10, 2013
Stairwell Banister

Want to paint my stairwell banisters. They are oak - should I use primer then paint?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 27, 2014
Partial Remodel of Basement

I have a basement with a raised subfloor and a bathroom in the corner. The area is about 430sq ft for the living space and 120 sq ft for the bathroom area. I want to gut the floors which are currently old ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 10, 2013
Rubber Mats Used For Basement Homegym

A few years ago I took and turned a room in my basement into a home gym and placed rubber mating from the local fitness equipment supply company on the floor. In the process of expanding the area I discovered m...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 5, 2013
Mobile Home Skirting

I may need to replace the skirting on my mobile home with the new vinyl vented skirting. Does anyone know what the approximate cost would be? My home is an older 1978 model, 14 x 70 with an 8 x 12 add...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 5, 2013
Shower leaked into rasied floor in basement - Microbioligits wants to use formaldehyde gas

Hello, I have a hard wood floor raised about 4-6 inches off the cement basement. The slab seems to dip from around 2 inches at the extremities to 6 at the center. The shower leaked for the past 5-6 mont...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post August 10, 2015
New Staircase

We are going to have a hard wood floor, and I am just unable to match this color on the baluster and newels. So I thought I will paint white and the hand rail dark blackish brown. Is there any rules for...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post October 1, 2013
Quoting a basement reno

I am finding it difficult to price out full basement renos. I have been told by some that it can be done for $19 a square foot, without flooring or baseboards, with a basic finish. And I have been t...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 4, 2014
Insulation

Do I need to insulate a basement wall next to a crawl space?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 27, 2013
ESA Electrical Inspection

Hello to all the pros: I got a few very nice looking lamps that are imported from my home country. Obviously it does not carry the cUL or any other accepted electrical certifications in Ontario. But by n...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 2, 2013
Vapour Barrier with Rigid Foam in Basement

Hi, I was wondering about whether vapour barrier is required under the following scenario: - we removed current 1/2 wall coverage of drywall and insulation - on basement walls we applied a mo...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 4, 2022
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x