Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Drywall installation

Should their be seams above the door frames and windows and if there is what are the possible consequences? Which should be installed first the ceiling or wall drywall>...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post October 13, 2012
One Year Tarion Items To Be Fixed Builder Doesn't Agree

We are at the one year for our new home, and there is a few items that we want fixed. Let me say the rest of the house is done very well and we are happy with the overall build. Item #1, the electri...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post October 12, 2012
Tools

Hi there, Anybody know if there are any dealers around GTA selling automatic taping tools? Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 10, 2012
Cost of basement reno..

Would like to know how much roughly cost to replace carpet to a laminate flooring, tile little bathroom floor and repaint the walls? The room floor to replace carpet to laminate is 450sqft bathroom f...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 9, 2012
Windows finished basement barrie ON

Hi there, I want to finish my basement for some more living space, its dry and in good condition. My question is do I need to have larger windows?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 9, 2012
Managing cost over runs

I an NOT asking for legal advice or opinion (though if there are any lawyers/paralegals offering free advice . . .) For everything there is a first time. Here is my "first time." Six wee...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post October 9, 2012
Which styrofoam / rigid insulation to use?

Hi I posted a question here and mentioned that I planned to use sprayfoam in my basement finishing project, and one of the answers suggested using styrofoam / rigid insulation instead. In theory,...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post July 31, 2015
New Home building expectations

Hi, I am building a new house. In the process of building the house, the contractor has damaged a metal entrance door, the moulding around the one of the front windows, and bent the frame of ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 8, 2012
Brick Floors?

Hello, We recently bought a detached bungalow and found that the main floor is made of brick. Two layers of vinyl are over top of it. We've had two contractors in, both being surprised at thi...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 5, 2012
Stair trims, whose responsibility is it?

Hello all, I have been doing renovations for over 11 years. In my experience, new stair installation does not involve all the trims. I recently re-did some existing stairs. The client did not wa...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post October 4, 2012
Noise in shower

After my shower is run for minute, it emits a loud, high-pitched sound that continues until the shower is turned off. What causes this and how do I fix it?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 4, 2012
Finishing my basement and have some questions - input appreciated

Hi, - I plan to use spray foam insulation, As I will frame with 2x4s on top of existing 1" nailing strips already on my cinderblock walls, I figure there will be lots of room (5" tota...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post October 3, 2012
Levelling the floor in downstairs bathroom before tiling

How do I apply the floor leveling cement? And what should I be aware of?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post October 5, 2012
Removal of inground pool

Hi, We are looking into removing our inground pool next year and I need to know what is involved with doing this? Thanks Donna...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 3, 2012
Maibec board and batten

Just wondering, what it cost to install maibec board and batten, labor only. Thank you...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 29, 2012
Bricklayer I hired did a terrible job

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a bricklayer license bureau or a construction license bureau I can complain to regarding the bricklayer I hired to replace 16 window sills outside our home. He run...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 26, 2012
Matching lighting to cabinet hardware

Hello, my house is 14 years old and all the fixtures, hardware and even the grates in the front window are brass. We have just purchased stainless appliances and would like to know if they are going to...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 25, 2012
How much does it cost to upgrade a basement window to E-gress window?

How much doest it cost to upgrade a basement window to E-gress window? I dont want to make a big well, just big enough to meet the minimum requirements. The property is in brampton, ontario. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 19, 2014
Making the basement legal

How to make a basement legal. As i heard the window are supposed to be bigger size. Do all the basement windows have to be bigger or one or two?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 17, 2013
Receiving a quote

I had a guy come to take measurements for a privacy fence and was told he'll call me back to give me a quote. What is considered a reasonable time waiting for his call before I choose another company&#...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post October 1, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x