Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Types of cement used

Hi. I have a fallen piece from a foundational corner wall. I uploaded a photo. Can you tell the type of cements used and how old are they? Note: my home is built on 1960 Thank you....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 18, 2012
Attic insulation on old wiring

I bought an old house and thought that it had upgraded wiring, but the electrician discovered knob & tube wiring in the attic. I will not be able to afford to replace this, but would like the attic to b...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 10, 2012
Basement bracing and expansion joint questions

I bought an older house which has two of the basement walls supported by pony walls, and all four walls with steel braces. I was told that these braces need some "backblocking". Is this very essenti...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 7, 2012
What would the labour and materials costs be (approx) for structural repairs?

1) For a basement excavation around a town home? 2) Fixing 3 loose parquets? 3) New ceiling fan and installing it? 4) Sealing three holes in a foundation? 5) New covers...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 11, 2012
Flooring

I have tiles in our kitchen at the moment and want to replace it. Would laminate flooring be a good option? Is it possible to lay it over our existing flooring?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 11, 2012
Finishing Basement - Confused

Hi there. I am looking to finish my basement and here's what I've got so far. 1. Wall Insulation - I'm going with a WallTite ECO V3 installer. 2. Framer - To frame my basement And that&...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 6, 2012
Cost of a retaining Wall

What is the cost for a retaining wall, 41 feet long and 24 inches high? We need some strength to prevent soil erosion. The backyard slopes towards a ravine. I assume we will need drain tiles and gra...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 10, 2012
Tiles

Hi, I am looking to install tiles myself in the basement for a bathroom floor. I assume I need some type of moisture backing for the tile. Right now its just concrete flooring and is levelled. Wh...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 25, 2012
Log home

I have a log home and both left and right side walls have the 4 bottom logs rotted. Whats the scope of work I'm looking at here? Full tear down? Or just replacing? I believe 4 of the 8 logs...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 10, 2012
Hardwood floor nightmare

Hi all, We hired a gentleman to sand 15 hundred square feet of our cherry floors & since there was maple underneath he put a finish over the maple. After he did them we paid him & then had to call him ba...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 23, 2012
Jewel Stone versus concrete

What are you opinions about Jewel stone for porch and steps; we rarely use them to be honest since we use the garage. We're doing stamped concrete in the back, side and walkway but can't afford...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 5, 2012
Garage shingles

I need to reshingle my garage. It is just a normal peaked roof. The dimensions are 27' x 13'. How many bundles of shingles am I going to need? Thanks for your help!!...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 10, 2012
New windows/stone siding

We recently purchased a home built in the early 1950's with an addition put on in the 80's. We're hoping to remove the vinyl siding and replace it with some kind of stone and increase the insulatio...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 5, 2012
Opening up our closets

We have 3 small closets and are going to be taking off the trim and doors so that it is more of an open concept and then adding in cabinetry. Luckily in 2 rooms the closet is either flush to the wall on one ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post August 4, 2015
Renovate or Demolish

Hello, Wondering how much of an existing home you can demolish and still call your project a renovation to avoid getting a demolition permit? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 28, 2012
Giving a deposit

I am about to start some major renovations in my home very shortly. I was wondering what the laws were about giving a deposit. Do I have to give a deposit? If the contractor wants me to buy all of the m...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post August 27, 2012
Basement Development

I am in the process of developing my basement into an apartment. Is it code to have subfloor and to use RC channel in the ceilings to accept drywall or can I use strapping? I am hearing different opinio...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 23, 2012
Deck Staining

We last stained our deck 5 years ago, and about 30% of the stain is still intact, particularly on the vertical parts. On the rest, is it necessary to pressure wash every bit of the previous stai...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 17, 2013
2X6 OR 2X8

I'm building an addition on my house and the walls are 2 x 6 sixteen inch centers. I want to build a flat roof on top of my addition for a balcony. What size floor joists should I use?...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 1, 2012
Drive way up grade

Hi My home driveway is 10' by 40' and I park one work van and a family van. The driveway is being used for 5 years and now its getting uneven and broken. What are my options should I go for resur...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 22, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x