Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Sealing Grout

Is there any rhyme or reason why sometimes after grouting a floor or shower that when done the grout in some places will change colour and look wet again but only after it gets wet? I have let the tile a...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post August 4, 2015
Bad Contractor

I signed a contract with on 7 June, 2012 for $35,000 to renovate my home. Subsequently additional work for $5,000. I checked Insurance, company registration, WSIB and references. It ...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post September 24, 2012
Supporting a fence

I have a customer who has erected a wood fence 5 feet height. In a nutshell, he dug holes and pours cement and added metal saddles (such as are used for deck posts). Needless to say, there i...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post September 25, 2012
Looking for well written contracts

I have worked under my fathers' company for years and am looking to branch out into my own business. His contracts aren't really that professional or concise. I was wondering if there was a good websi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 19, 2012
Maibec siding

Hi, I was just wondering what the going price is to install maibec exterior siding, that includes windows trim, and all other trim work. I'm just thing of doing my house 2500 SQ FT. and ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 19, 2012
How much does attic insulation cost?

I have a 800 sqft attic with insulation around 7 inches, if I want to add up to 15 inches or R50. How much does it cost if I hire a contractor? Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 19, 2012
Employment as a flooring installer

I run an employment program where I assist members of the Ottawa community in finding employment (not a placement agency; its a special program for individuals with disabilities.) I am working with ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 19, 2012
Home Renovation Technician From Humber College

I am planning to start Home Renovation Technician diplama from humer college. Do you think it is good idea to polich my skill and to learn more. My wife is becomming an interior designer, doing her degree f...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 7, 2014
Using escrow to secure construction transactions

Hi all contractors out there, I just wanted to ask some questions: a) How many contractors considered using escrow to secure payment for a project? b) What is the average rate of cu...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 18, 2012
Attic conversion

Hi there, We are looking to convert our attic. We live in a very solid 1920's home in Winnipeg. The previous owners used the attic space for something as there is flooring there. We are quite certain...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 17, 2012
Hardwood flooring installation

Is there a specific certification that a general contractor can obtain to indicate that they are qualified to install hardwood floors? Also, is there a practiced distance for each plank to be from t...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 23, 2012
exterior cedar siding damage

I noticed that some exterior cedar siding is showing damage, not sure if it is water damage the age of siding. What type of company would be able to fix this?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 17, 2012
Electrical in highrise residential

Can a highrise residential owner or agent f the owner hire anyone of the street to do their electrical, or does this person have to hold a C of Q in electrical?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 4, 2015
Pressure Wash Services

What would be the best way of dealing with pressure wash contract? 1- per SQ Foot? or 2- Per hour Services?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 17, 2012
Lein on House

I had some work done on my house recently by a contractor and thier final bill was almost double the inital agreed upon work. I have not been given the details (time and materials) and want to investig...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post August 2, 2015
Insulating

Our 50 year old panabode style cottage has never had any insulation. Now living in it permanently and in need of it being insulated. Looking for suggestions and cost....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post September 16, 2012
Bad caulking job on my baseboards help!

Hi there. I hired a "handyman" to install my baseboard trim in my condo, and boy did he do a bad job. the cuts look fine it is the caulking he put on looks so bad. it was just slopped on and so mess...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post September 19, 2012
Home Addition

Hi all, I am looking to purchase one of the old 'war homes' in the East York area of Toronto. It's a tiny bungalow so i'd like to build an extension at the back. I'd like the extensio...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 12, 2012
Deck coating

I hired a contractor to redo my deck, he put on new plywood and started applying sonoguard, put one coat on, told me it was now waterproof. It rained on sunday and it leaked into my basement. It loo...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post August 24, 2013
Concrete pad and sidewalk

A concrete pad that is approx 35x20. Would it need expansion joints? Rebar was not used nor was it tamped down and they didnt use sand, its already cracking and it was just poured at the beginning o...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post September 12, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x