Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement framing

I live in Winnipeg and own a bungalow. I am an apprentice within the Interior Systems Mechanic trade and love doing renovations. With my house, my basement is unfinished but there are walls framed. They...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 7, 2012
Hardwood Floor

I am looking to have the carpet in my house ripped up and replaced with hardwood to help with my son's allergies. The house is 2400 square feet, obviously not all is carpet. Is there a ball park cost ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 6, 2012
Fireplace renovation

I have an ugly brick fireplace with a very large hearth. I would like to remove the hearth (I have enough hardwood to fill in the area) and resurface the brick on the rest of the fireplace. What are ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 6, 2015
Slab foundation on a 4 ft. footing

Hi, I might be purchasing a home in Bowmanville, it's an 8yr old raised bungalow, it sits on a six inch poured salb with a 4 ft deep footing underneath. The house is on a bit of a hill and ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 6, 2012
Cement between houses with zero property line

Am I able to put a cement pad in-between my house and the neighbours hous?. It is zero property line. Just not sure of the regulations. Thanks you....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 29, 2012
Parging

We are looking to hire someone to parg our cinder blocks on the exterior of our basement wondering if someone could tell me if it is necessary to insure they use mesh under the concrete or if it is ok to just ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 25, 2012
Electrician

Hello my name is Michel, I am from the states and i graduated as an Electrician in the US with more than 15 years experiences. I moved to quebec 2 years ago but they do not reconize my diploma. I wo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 28, 2012
Question about covering the electrical panel board in the basement... .calgary, AB

Hi, I've been finishing off my basement in Calgary, AB, and was planning on putting the electrical panel board in a hidden recess covering it with a bi-fold door. But when researching electr...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 21, 2012
Wallpaper

Me and my boyfriend are trying to fix up our house. When you would walk in the front door there was awful wallpaper, my boyfriend had started to try peeling it off, and we realized that it was put righ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 2, 2012
Cold exterior wall

All my exterior walls are cold to the touch on my main floor. My main floor walls are plaster walls. Should I get blown in insulation or remove exterior wall and put new insulation in and put up drywall?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 22, 2012
Wood finishing

Hi, I am finishing a Ikea chair it look like yelowish teak clolor. . My goal is a dark brow- black color with stain. I sanded, put several coat minwax stain and I think is dry, after 4 days (...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 25, 2015
2 Room Addition

I am in the early stages of planning for a 12 x 20 addition on the back of my house for an additional 2 bedrooms, single storey. The area in Lefroy that I am in is very wet. I put in horseshoe pits and th...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 19, 2012
Vinyl in basement laundry room

I am having the basement finished. Any suggestions for vinyl in the laundry room? I'm not a big fan of peel and stick tile but I understand it is easier to replace the tile if it gets damaged. I wa...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 19, 2012
Floors not level

Previous owners jacked up middle of house now one side is lower. How do I make a 5 degree droop even? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 18, 2012
Moving a Doorway in a Load-bearing wall

I plan on moving a doorway approximately 33 inches on a load-bearing wall. I realize that the load must be supported on both sides, as the joists are overlapping on this wall, while the doorway is being...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 12, 2012
Attic Insulation in my old house

I have a home built in the mid- fifties that has a 12/12 roof, it has insulation with a paper backing stapled between the roof rafters. Will I have any problems if I add more insulation in the joists...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 16, 2012
Who to call?

Our decorative outside fan vent blew off which has left some exposure. Need someone to go up on a ladder and repace it (hubby has bad foot so cannot do it himself ). I really do not know who to call...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 14, 2012
Moving doorway

I would like to move the opening in a load bearing wall by 20 ". Is it possible to leave the existing header in and extend it by 20" to allow for the shift in location of the opening. The open will re...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 14, 2012
Basement renovation

Hi, Can someone please tell me what is the range per sq ft to have a basement completed? No bathroom, it is done about 900 sq ft also included would be a gas fireplace Looking to get idea of...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 12, 2012
self-levelling compound

Can I tile over the self-leveling compound (on basement substrate) using Ditra or Protegga without using a subfloor?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 12, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x